Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2016 10:00

Inspiron 15 7000 series 7559 - Touchscreen stops working after opening lid more than 90 degrees

Hi all,

I received my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series 7559 a few days ago, and noticed that sometimes my touchscreen would stop working. I would shut down the laptop (and usually close the lid), then later turn it back on and the touchscreen would be working again.

When the touchscreen was not working, it would show up as an error under the Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

What I noticed was that I could always fix the problem by 1) Moving my screen to 90 degrees open or less, and then 2) Restarting the laptop OR from Device Manager disable then re-enable the unknown USB device.

It is a consistent issue, I can use the touchscreen for a day or longer without rebooting as long as the screen stays no more than 90 degrees open, but as soon as I open the screen just a bit wider (to the max open width, I'd say about 105 degrees where the hinges no longer allow it to open), the touchscreen stops working within a couple seconds and then the USB error starts showing up under the Device Manager.

It's unfortunate because when it's sitting on my lap and I want to use the touchscreen, opening the lid all the way is the most comfortable viewing angle so I'd really prefer to be able to do it. I'm also thinking about opening up the case and looking for a loose connection, but with a brand new laptop I'd really rather not.

Anyway I wonder if anyone else has seen this issue, or has a solution better than "don't open the lid all the way"?

Final note, I have the laptop version with 4K screen, i7-6700hq processor, Nvidia GTX960m. I installed all drivers and driver updates including BIOS, chipset, display driver, etc. and am completely up to date with Windows 10 updates as well. None of that has made a difference with my issue. Tried running the Windows hardware troubleshooter, with no effect.

Thanks,

James

2 Posts

February 20th, 2017 05:00

Hi James,

I have been facing a similar problem with my brand new i7 7559 except that the Touch Screen here doesn't work at all, even after rebooting and reinstalling the Unknown USB Device shown in the Device manager. I would really like to know a way to correct this.

Thanks,

Nivaas.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 20th, 2017 09:00

Nivaas wrote: " the Unknown USB Device shown in the Device manager "

:emotion-2:

Do you see the touch screen listed under Human Interface Devices ? Do you have any ideal what is the Unknown USB device ? Further, you have a wireless or wired mouse connected to the system? Printer, Flash drive, cell phone or any other device connected to the system?

1 Message

February 20th, 2017 10:00

I am also having this problem, very frustrated with this laptop!  has the back light on your keyboard stopped working?

2 Posts

February 21st, 2017 10:00

@Nivaas

When I turn on the laptop with the screen less than 90 degrees open, I see the "HID-compliant touch screen" listed under Human Interface Devices, and I do not see any "unknown USB device" listed anywhere. The touchscreen works properly. However, as soon as I open my screen past 90 degrees, the "HID-compliant touch screen" disappears, and the "unknown USB device" appears, and the touchscreen stops working.

If I turn on the laptop with the screen more than 90 degrees open, I see the "unknown USB device" listed and no entry for "HID-compliant touch screen". If I then shut the screen lid to be less than 90 degrees open, right-click on "unknown USB device"  and then disable->enable it, the  "unknown USB device" entry disappears and the "HID-compliant touch screen" reappears, and the touchscreen works correctly.

@Kathykubs

I have not had any issues with my backlight on the keyboard.

No Events found!