Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2016 15:00

Inspiron 15-7559, hinge and fan issues

I have a Inspiron 15-7559  It is five months old. The left hinge started clicking and now every time my computer opens the computer is starting to come apart. I have the premium warranty.  I have called 3 times today and talked to different people. I have been disconnected three times with no one calling me back. They say that the hinges are not covered under warranty. It hasn't been dropped or mistreated. I have been a Dell customer for over fifteen years so i'm not sure  why they are giving me a hard time or not calling me back. Also while gaming, my fan is running super hot. Does anyone have any suggestions or a number I should call to get actual decent help.

Thank You

2K Posts

August 14th, 2016 00:00

Hi HIGHMAINT30,

Does the system overheat? Does it freeze or turn off automatically when its hot? What applications are you using when the fan issue is noticed? Is the fan noisy? Does it run with noise from the time the system is turned on? Are there any bluescreens / system crashes?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/2aV8Rib - restart the system and check the fan functionality.

When you contacted our colleagues, do you have the case reference# for us to review?

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

February 20th, 2017 12:00

No it didnt answer my question.  Its the hinge issue that needs to be addressed.  I think Dell needs to take responsibility for the issue.  They fixed the fan but like that guys you tube video showed it starts by clicking then my lap top slowly started to open up.  Dell said it was my fault.  I must have dropped it but as you can see in the guys video in this thread it starts like that then it comes appar.   I have to now duct tape my computer  Sooooo Classsy.    

So dissapointed in Dell this time.   15 year + customer here.

February 27th, 2017 11:00

mine has just started clicking, how do i "not at fault" from here. what is your advice on how to proceed. ive been extra super careful having read about this issue before buying, thinking that they must be mishandling it. but despite my gentle hand, it clicks. do i bring it to the  service center now? or wait til it all falls apart? will it be a 'non issue' right now? will it be 'my fault' if i do nothing? is there any work around fix aside from duct taping my brand new $1500 computer?

1 Message

March 2nd, 2017 12:00

$160 repair, lucky you. Just been told I'll have to pay £220 even though I've not had it quite one year.    In my opinion, it looks like it's a design flaw, which I tried to tell them, seeing as it's a recurring problem over numerous forums.

4 Posts

March 10th, 2017 06:00

Dell has fixed my laptop. They replaced the chassis (both top and bottom)

1 Message

March 31st, 2017 08:00

My computer is 1 year and 6 days old. It is in pristine condition. The hinge began to pull apart 2 days ago. No cause is known.

Views of my otherwise healthy computer:

Top :

drive.google.com/.../view

Back Right Corner(Intact):

BackLeftCorner(BrokenCorner1):

Bottom:

Views of my beautiful computer pulling apart:

BrokenCorner2:

BrokenCorner3:

1 Message

April 1st, 2017 17:00

i have the exact same issue!!!

2 Posts

April 10th, 2017 20:00

Seems I have the same issue. Dell have said that i dropped it. They said they have never seen the issue before ever. NO. They have also told me that its at the END OF LIFE so i will have to get it fixed. myself at my cost. Its only 4 months old. I also bought an extra 4yrs onsite warranty. Useless

April 10th, 2017 21:00

Since more and more people are coming forward with the same complaints on the hinges, are you going to do something about it?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 11th, 2017 07:00

A hinge is defined by Dell as a "consumable". Your only options are to use the Dell Out of Warranty Repair service or do the work yourself.

What is not covered by the Limited Hardware warranty or ADS (Accidental Damage Service) warranty?

* Third-party software
* Products for which Dell has not received payment
* Non-Dell branded products and accessories
* Theft or loss
* External causes such as accident, abuse
* Electrical surges, storms, lightning
* Servicing not authorized by Dell
* Usage that is not in accordance with product instructions
* Failure to follow the product instructions or failure to perform preventive maintenance
* Problems caused by using accessories, parts or components not supplied by Dell
* Products with missing or altered service tags or serial numbers
* Consumables under the normal Wear & Tear policy (Hinges, Bent AC adapter cabling, Broken power cable, Keyboard keys, Batteries
* Liquid spills
* Drops, falls, or other collisions

1 Message

April 11th, 2017 18:00

My son's Inspiron 7559 was bought in July and his left hinge is messed up. Called Dell and they said it wasn't covered under warranty.  I then took it to a computer repair shop. The guy there tells me the hinge is seized and clearly a manufacturer's defect. Aren't defective parts protected under warranty?! This is clearly not a wear and tear problem. It hasn't been dropped. The guy at the shop even said you can tell it's not from being dropped, there's not a scratch or scuff on it! This laptop was pricey enough as it is. Dell needs to own up to having used defective parts and fix the problem.

April 14th, 2017 00:00

So what your saying is that all these computers a few months old NOT YEARS but months old have so much wear & tear issues they come apart? The computers in question here are 4-6 months old. There should be hardly any wear and tear. I mean  really? If I buy a new car, and I buy the extended warranty and it breaks down at 4-5 months they fix it. I think dell needs to look into these hinges. So explain to me how a 4-6 month old computer can have a lot of wear & tear?  There are more and more of these posts popping up.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 14th, 2017 06:00

In our usability labs with volunteers, we noted that the wear and tear on the left hinge was in how users repeatedly and incorrectly opened the laptop lid by raising the right corner putting a twisting torque stress on the left hinge.

Correct = Raise the lid by grasping the center of the lid and opening

Incorrect = Raise the lid by grasping the right corner of the lid and opening which adds twisting torque stress to the left hinge.

The policy will remain. Hinges are considered a consumable and fall under the Dell Wear & Tear policy.

April 14th, 2017 21:00

I don't open my lap top from the side never have always in the middle. I even shut it from the middle. I have owned 5-6 lap tops from dell since 2005. I haven't ever had a issue with a hinge. I still think this computers hinge is faulty. That's why more and more people are coming forward. I did send it in to fix it. Now its come back not working right. So they have to my house and fix the issue. If the Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming is the newer model of this one they changed the hinges because these were not designed well. They are flimsy.  Terrible design for a laptop that people use a lot. The hinges stick out and they are not protected. I would not recommend this laptop to anyone. Maybe the new ones are better but this design stinks. I still think Dell needs to recognize there faulty hinges and do something about it.

1 Message

April 18th, 2017 03:00

I've had the same issue myself, 

Unfortunately my warranty just ended last month!! happened out of the blue just from opening and closing not after a drop or anything.

Seems like poor construction to me but I guess i'll have to shell out over 200 bucks for it now.

No Events found!