Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2017 04:00

Inspiron 15 7569 loses sound when USB and HDMI ports are used

If I use both USB ports and the HDMI port at the same time I lose sound from the laptop. Neither of the USB ports are connected to headphones or external speakers. Is this to be expected or is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks

kosmos66 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 14th, 2017 06:00

The HDMI ports are a sound output device.  If you have something plugged in which can produce sound you should hear it there.

Try opening the Playback devices window from the speaker icon on the taskbar.  You should see the HDMI listed and showing sound levels if actual sound is playing.  If you don't, look for any other device which may be showing changes in sound levels.  You may have to disable one type if it is getting your sound.

2 Posts

January 14th, 2017 10:00

This is going to get complicated to explain:: I have a Dell monitor SE 2416H connected to the HDMI port. I have a Kenwood TS 590SG ( ham radio) connected to one USB port and a SDRplay RSP2 which is a Software Defined Receiver connected to the other USB. I am runnig a software defined radio program called HDSDR with connects to the RSP2. The HDSDR program should have sound which it is ( or should ) getting from the SDR2. Somewhere along this train of hardware and software there must be a setting(s) that is not set correctly.

Thanks for your input.

No Events found!