Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2013 20:00

Inspiron 1520 only boots by pressing D + power button

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 that has an unusual problem. If I press the power button, the hard drive light comes on then goes off and the Num Lock light stays on. The screen is blank. However, if I press the D key and the power button at the same time, the display comes on and goes through a color test, then it goes to a boot page where I can start windows normally. It starts windows and is fine. I am also able to press the function key and power button together to run a preboot system assessment, which is running right now.

Any ideas? Why is it not booting normally with just the power button? Thanks in advance for your help.

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

October 17th, 2013 22:00

Hi stncald,

Share the results for the preboot system assessment.

Connect an external monitor to the system and then press only the power button to see if there is any display on the external monitor.

Update the system BIOS from the link http://dell.to/1bDPDqb and then check if the system boots normally.

You may refer to the link http://dell.to/176grvH for steps on how to update the BIOS.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

2 Posts

October 20th, 2013 17:00

Thank you very much. Updating the BIOS did the trick. That's all it needed. I've booted it up several times and it seems to be fine. Thanks again.

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 04:00

Hi stncald,

Glad to know that the issue is resolved.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

1 Message

August 13th, 2016 09:00

Hi,

I have an Inspiron 15z 5523 with the A05 BIOS on it, with exactly the same issue - the 3 keys (on the top right of the keyboard) light up, and nothing further happens. It only starts after I cycle power a few times (ranged from 2 to 10 times) with the D key depressed while powering it on.

From the FAQs, this model is not set up for a BIOS reset. One of the times, I did try pressing the "End" button while connecting power - and it went through lighting up the power button and the other keys - but no further.  

The above doesn't work in my case - the system flags an error while trying to install A05 again.

During start up, I managed to run the pre-boot system assessment and no problems were found.  Any help would be much appreciated!

No Events found!