Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2012 13:00

Inspiron 1545 battery not charging

My Inspiron is running on the ac adaptor.  The battery icon contains the plug symbol which should mean that it is being charged, but the capacity is indicated as 4% - 'Plugged in not charging'. The battery is new, so presumably the last one was not at the end of its life!!

Any ideas? -thanks Bob Bottomley

934 Posts

May 4th, 2012 09:00

The video gives you an idea how Dell's power adapter work in connection with the laptop

The power jack of an inspiron 1545 is located on a separate smaller board.

1 Message

December 4th, 2014 12:00

I know this is a couple years late and probably quite a few dollars short but I had the same problem with my daughter's Inspiron 1545 battery/power charger. I have read all the posts but would like to also mention the identification terminals in the actual power connector on the laptop. If you look on the inside of the power socket you will see 2 tabs on the inside of the 4 tabs where the ID pins goes into. My daughter has a habit of sitting on her bed with her laptop resulting in putting stress on the power charger connector, bending the tabs that are supposed to identify the charger. If you shut down your laptop and  remove the battery, you can take a jewelers tool and bend the 2 tabs back inward to make contact with the ID pin. Once finished with these steps, install the battery and the charger and fire it up. Hope this helps.

3.8K Posts

May 3rd, 2012 22:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Check if the batter and the AC adapter is getting detected in the Bios. Press the F2 key at the Dell Logo on startup, to enter the BIOS, under General select Battery information, check what it says next to Battery Health, and AC Adapter, if ac adapter says not installed, try another AC adapter. If still no go, then it could be a motherboard issue.

Thank you

Royan

14 Posts

May 4th, 2012 06:00

Many thanks for your suggestion.  I tried the BIOS route with the following outcome : Battery Health - Normal, AC adapter -Unknown. Battery status 0.4%.

After restart the following message appears ;

QUICKSET

"The AC power adapter type cannot be determined and the battery will not charge.  Please connect a DELL 65W AC adapter or higher for best system operation".

2 points - first, the adapter is the one supplied by DELL from new.  Second, it may not be charging the battery, but it is powering the laptop.

Finally, I have in the past had an intermittent problem with the mechanical plug / socket connection of the adapter on the pc body, though I cannot imagine (as a retired electronics engineer) that the socket has an additional function other than to supply rectified AC to the battery.

Thanks for your ongoing support.

Regards,

Bob Bottomley

14 Posts

May 4th, 2012 11:00

Well it has not in itself solved the problem, but I now understand totally how the system works, and can follow a procedure to allow me to determine the cause.

Many, many thanks,  Bob.

3.8K Posts

May 7th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

It shows that the AC adapter is unknown in the Bios. So I suggest you try another ac adapter.

Royan

14 Posts

May 12th, 2012 05:00

Thanks Royan for your help, following the video explanation I received, I was able to fix the problem.  It turned out to be mechanical distortion of the pc's power socket, which to my way of thinking is of poor design.Thanks, Bob.

1 Message

May 25th, 2012 00:00

Excuse me, how long ago did you get your Inspiron 1545. My daughter's is doing the same received as a gift around October 2009.

July 6th, 2012 22:00

i replaced the motherboard and still have a black screen and my laptop wont charge what could be the issue. my power adapter has a blue light indicator when plugged in but while plugged in altho the blue light is on the white light that indicates a charge isnt on? what could this be.

August 26th, 2013 22:00

Hi Boogaloo41

Please check whether the ac adapter is getting detected in bios. Press the F2 key at the Dell Logo on startup to enter the BIOS, if ac adapter says not installed, try another AC adapter. If still no go, then it could be a motherboard issue

1 Message

August 26th, 2013 22:00

Hello, I am having a problem charging my battery on my Dell Inspiron 1545, 0% available (Plugged in, not charging new battery as well. I think it is the charger port. How can i fix this.

2 Posts

November 13th, 2013 23:00

No problem at all.
You can choose a replacement ac adapter which has higher Amps than your original ac adapter's; but you can not choose an ac
adapter which has lower Amps than your original ac adapter's because it can not provide sufficient power to your laptop.
Adapters with higher Amps will not damage your laptop. The adapter's output current (Amps) and output power (watts) are
maximum load ratings. Computers only draw as many amperes or watts as they need.

Biian, what you say is true. I've had both an Inspiron 6000 and an Inspiron 9000. The 90W adapter that came with the 9300
would work for the 6000, but the 65W adapter that came with the 6000 wouldn't work for the 9300.

Having said that, the original post was well over two years ago so I'm sure their problem has been taken care of long ago.

For more:http://www.eachbatt.com/blog/how-to-repair-hp-dv7-laptop-power-adapter/

2 Posts

August 21st, 2014 13:00

The solution to the dell inspiron battery not recognized for windows 7 is

1. Disconnect AC
  2. Shutdown
  3. Remove battery
  4. Connect AC
  5. Startup
  6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Batterylistings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).
  7. Shutdown
  8. Disconnect AC
  9. Insert battery
  10. Connect AC
  11. Startup

and for windows 8 

1. Disconnect AC
  2. Shutdown
  3. Remove battery
  4. Connect AC
  5. Startup
  6. Go to device Manager click on battery and uninstall  Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery
  7. Shutdown
  8. Disconnect AC
  9. Insert battery
  10. Connect AC
  11. Startup

Good luck and hope this information helps you.

2 Posts

August 21st, 2014 17:00

Since it is an Inspiron model I don't see why the windows 8 procedure wouldn't work for you. Please let me know if it does I am interested.

4 Posts

August 21st, 2014 17:00

My inspiron 3721, with Windows 8, is doing this same "plugged in, not charging" thing.  Is your procedure okay to try on this model?

No Events found!