Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2013 08:00

Inspiron 15R (5521) Black Screen

Hello,

I just got the 15R last week. Initially everything was working fine with the display and the touchscreen but after a few days the screen began acting up and blacking out. You can tell that the backlight is still on but the display itself is totally blank. At first it would just flicker and come back, I think it was related to the position of the display as moving it around sometimes helped. I figured this indicated a problem with wiring but I went ahead and updated the display drivers through Dell support but to no avail.

A few days later and now the screen stays totally black (backlight still functions). It does not work on boot and, since the laptop only has HDMI out I cannot get into the BIOS or pull up the boot menu. Once Windows loads I can plug it into a TV and get a picture through HDMI. Through this means I've updated the BIOS to the latest version.

The only thing that gets some life out of the display is the diagnostic of pressing "D" upon power-on. The display then cycles through different colors all of which appear fine but as soon as the diagnostic ends they screen goes black and stays that way (still with visible backlighting).

It definitely seems like there is some shoddy wiring somewhere leading to the display but I'm hoping there might be a step that I'm missing before going through anything that makes me wait days on end to get a working laptop again.

Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can provide.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 08:00

Hi MACisle,

I am sorry about the situation; this seems to be an issue with the LCD screen. Please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat, so that I can help you further. 

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details. 

October 10th, 2013 12:00

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with the black screen that occurs when the computer has been in sleep mode.  Any way to fix this?  I have to force my computer into a restart each time, and I don't like doing that.

Thanks,

Mary

1.5K Posts

October 11th, 2013 00:00

Hi Mary,

I would suggest you to drain the residual power from the system:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Disconnect the power cable from the system tower.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Restart the computer.

You may run the hardware diagnostics to check for the hardware functionality. Please follow the steps below:

• Reboot and press to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error.

You may refer to the link: http://dell.to/14yF5Yh

Please share the system model and the operating system.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

9 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 17:00

Mary,

Have you found a fix? I am experiencing the same thing.

Thanks,

Greg

9 Posts

Hello,

I am experiencing the same thing that Mary experienced with a black screen after hibernate on reboot.

I've run the hardware diagnostics as you suggested and passed all tests.

What next?

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg,

I did not find a fix but I haven't been having the problem recently (not in my recent memory).  See if there are any updates to run?  My computer has been running updates on restarts frequenty.

Wish I could be more help.

Mary

5 Posts

February 4th, 2014 08:00

Hello Everyone,

The fix implemented in my case was a complete replacement of the screen, which was done under warranty.

Hope that might help,

Mac

9 Posts

February 26th, 2014 05:00

Dell Tech,

Any help with me issue would  be greatly appreciated.

Due to my work I am unable to call during the day and at night the internet is very very slow.

I tried updating the BIOS, re-installing the video driver and AMD software - still no luck.

I was also just able to find time to call one of you tech support guys and he hung up on me - so that wasn't a good experience.

February 4th, 2015 08:00

i have dell inspiron 15r 5521 touch screen

i have  come across one critical situation that is my lapstops shows mi adell logo while restrating 

and also shows mi user login screen toget login but as soon as i get login 

my screen get blank that is in black color

so how to overcome this issues pls let mi know about it.

No Events found!