Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2013 21:00

Inspiron 15r 7520 startup issue

My laptop crashed a few days ago and now when I try and boot up the laptop seems to be caught up in a strange cycle of trying to start but not going anywhere. The screen is stuck on a black /white screen and only gets to:

Reconstructing Cache Metadata.

Please do not interrupt this process.

Reading packed metadata into memory  - done.

Processing delta log record .... Gets to 1, then screens blacks out for a second and the process starts again. The screen blacks out, then flashes message, then starts over and continues endlessly. This all happens in seconds.

Inspiron 15r SE i7

Win7

AMD Radeon

Any help is appreciated. 

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 11th, 2013 01:00

Hi teamstevo,

I suggest that you shut the system down, remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds.  Now connect only the ac adapter and wait for 30 seconds and turn on the system. This will drain any residual charge in the capacitors.
Once the static power is discharged, I recommend you to run diagnostics to check if the hardware is working as designed.  To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F12 key every two seconds. This will start the One-time boot menu. Using arrow keys select ‘Diagnostics’ and hit enter. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes. Please reply to this post in case of any error message.

4 Posts

March 11th, 2013 19:00

Thanks for the response Sujatha. Unfortunately, I've tried the drain and reboot four times to no avail. I don't get to the Dell logo at all as I get the screen message from my first post immediately from black.   I've even tried hitting F12 as soon as it powers up. How many times do I need to hit F12? I believe I hit the button for 30-40 seconds... Stilll no luck.

Any other suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 12th, 2013 07:00

Hi teamstevo,

I suggest that you shut the system down and press Fn + power button to launch diagnostics. You may also try connecting an external monitor and check the display status on the external monitor.

Please reply with the status to assist you further.

4 Posts

March 13th, 2013 16:00

Sujatha...

When I power up with the Fn button depressed, I get no change in process from earlier post.  The laptop goes into the same message cycle as noted above.  It cannot seem to get past the POST.  I've tried safe mode boot up as well but only get a prolonged beep.

What's happening is very similar to what has happened to this guy: .  Here's the link to the forum: forum.clubedohardware.com.br/.../98.  Unfortunately, I don't speak Portugese.  I've done the google translate and it looks like he removed the disk drive and left the SSD intact? Then installed and reformatted. I'm not following it.

Ideas?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 14th, 2013 05:00

Hi teamstevo,

Thank you for the update.

I request you to give one last try to run diagnostics. Remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter. Next press and hold the power button and connect the Ac adapter to the system. This should launch diagnostics.  Please revert with the status.

I also suggest you to reseat the HDD and also try to start the system with one memory at a time. Check with both memories in both the slots.

Please find the link below for Inspiron 7520 service manual:

http://bit.ly/ZOOS9j

Revert to this post for further assistance.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi teamstevo,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to this post. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

4 Posts

March 19th, 2013 16:00

Sujantha...

I was able to remove the HD drive and restart to run diagonistics.  On System Setup, I went to reset BIOS and Load Optimized Defaults.  However, after restarting the system, it goes back to the same "reconstructing cache metadata" loop from before.

What else can I try?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

March 20th, 2013 07:00

Hi teamstevo,

Thank you for all the trouble shooting steps tried. I request you provide the screen shot of the error message. Also send me a private message with the system service tag to check the system details.

1 Message

May 13th, 2013 00:00

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. It looks like it was the SSD that had a problem. Once I had removed the HDD, the computer went to the Intel Rapid Storage screen. I pressed I and it went to the configuration screen. The only HDD showing was a Samsung SSD (which I didnt know was there). I chose the option to no longer have it as a raid disk, saved and exited. The computer now boots normally.

Seems that the SSD (which is apparently only used for disk caching) must be faulty. I thought this had fixed the problem, and it has to some extent, but a new issue has arisen. I tried to back up a 12GB mail file, and it gets to about 7% and it just stops. The copy dialog box is open, but copying slows down and then stops. I presume this has something to do with the cache settings. I changed cache settings to max (Control Panel, Advanced System Settings, Advanced, Performance, Advanced, Change Virtual Memory) - the SSD doesnt show up as an option, and I still have the problem. Computer is unusable like this. Anyone got any suggestions?

November 12th, 2014 08:00

HI

I have dell Inspiron 7520 laptop..My laptop was working fine untill recently when i start my laptop i get white lines and beep tones couple of times and then screen goes white and then i had to restart couple of times but same result..sometimes though laptop starts with dell logo and then goes smoothly

I have windows 8.1 installed on laptop.

Can anyone please help me on this. This is becoming daily pain for me..

Thanks advance.

Tushar

13 Posts

November 12th, 2014 09:00

Method 1: Resetting Power

download windows 8.1 pro free

1. Take out the  battery, the charger and  any peripherals such as (USB devices, printers etc).

2. Press and Hold the Power button for 30 seconds. Release the button after 30 seconds.

3. Put the charger back in and check if the laptop now powers up. If it does, then put the battery back in as well. laptop will not turn on

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 12th, 2014 09:00

If the system is in warranty, call Dell -- if it's out of warranty:

Remove the battery, unplug the system and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove and reinstall both memory modules.  Disconnect and reconnect both ends of the cable that runs between the display panel and mainboard.  Check the cable for damage on the connectors and conductors - if it's damaged, replace it.

If that doesn't solve the problem, the next most likely cause is a display panel that's going bad.  Replace the display panel with a new one.

November 12th, 2014 10:00

Thanks guys.

Actually what happens this usually happens when my lappy goes in hibernate mode and when I start it starts with white lines and beeps and goes complete white after couple of restarts it starts but not sure if its driver or something else..

No Events found!