Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 4th, 2015 21:00

Inspiron 17 (3721) will not boot up

When I try to power on my Inspirion 17 3721 it makes a beep/ticking sound. It is continious and will not stop. Its steady beep every second. I have tried to relieve the static power, I have taken out the memory stick and reinserted. I do not know what to do. Can someone help?

332 Posts

January 5th, 2015 00:00

Hi Rickyweaves,

As per the beep code on the Dell Inspirion 17(3721) suspects a System board failure. I would suggest you check for the exact number of beeps.

Adding to that also let us know if the system is able to boot into the BIOS. To boot the system into BIOS power on the system and tap F2 at Dell Logo and check.

Let us know your findings.

January 5th, 2015 02:00

I also have the same problem as the other user Ricky  INSPIRON 17 3721 my laptop just started doing the same thing. It's a continuous single beep  1 sec pause between beep non stop over an hour. NO SCREEN ACTIVITY OR BIOS BOOT.

January 5th, 2015 04:00

I can not boot into BIOS. It just continually beeps and never stops. This is very frustrating as this PC is not that old nor been used much. I bought this PC just as a backup.

I have two other Dell's that are several years old and they still work perfectly. I bought this PC and two Inspiron 11's for my children and all three computers including my inspiron 17 and two 11's  do not work well. My other inspiron 11 will not turn on either except there is power lights but no beeping just nothing happens at all. All three computers are between 1-2 yrs old. I am very frustrated and disappointed! I used to be an advocate for Dell computers but after this experience with these three PCs, I may never purchase nor refer Dell to anyone. I had to replace the keyboard in my 17 the first week I had it. If anyone has any advice PLEASE let me know.

January 5th, 2015 13:00

The only activity is the following. Battery charge led is on (white) when off.. after an hour of "charging" ATTEMPT to power on unplugged  led lights turn on power,  hdd off, battery led amber & wifi  blinks then shuts off. SEEMS THE BATTERY IS NOT CHARGING might be a cpu , chipsset or motherboard issue.  Cpu cant be removed it's soldered direct no socket.

January 5th, 2015 18:00

Anyone?

January 6th, 2015 17:00

Well, I'm coming to the conclusion that Dell's support service is about as good as the product they build! Not good at all!!!! Thank you Dell!

332 Posts

January 8th, 2015 06:00

Hi dellinspiron173721 / Rickyweaves,

I would like you to perform the following the steps again mentioned below and check if the system turns ON.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
  3. Remove the battery from the computer.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are able to turn on the system.

Also, If the system has power but is not booting up, check to see if the keyboard status lights flash to indicate a successful POST, but no video, or that the keyboard status lights are lit in a sequence indicating a system problem.

I also suggest you reseat a few components, like memory, hard drive, optical drive, wireless cards and see if that make a difference. You may refer to manual in the link below for removing and reseating of components.

[View:http://bit.ly/1FjGUqz:550:0]

Let us know your findings

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 30th, 2015 03:00

I have the same problem, but my warranty is over. What must I do with it?

1 Message

September 15th, 2015 19:00

This reply is after the fact, but it is definitely the motherboard. I extensively tested all parts of the same laptop with the same problem. No other device swaps or repairs fixed it. I believe it to be a manufacturer error so if you are still under warranty definitely send it back in. If out of warranty, the cost of replacement is about the price of a laptop so pull your hard drive out, buy a new one and transfer the data. Other than that there isn't much you can do with it.

September 16th, 2015 04:00

Thanks for the reply. I already came to the same conclusion. The bad thing is I bought that pc along with two inspiron 11 all around the same time and they all have had the motherboard crash. All three were just a few months out of warranty. I used to be loyal to Dell. I feel their quality of product has diminished. I will never buy Dell again nor will I recommend Dell to anyone. Actually, I would advise against purchasing purchasing from Dell. It is very unfortunate!

3 Posts

November 24th, 2015 07:00

I have the same problem with my 17R - 5737. beep/click. over and over about 2 seconds apart. I can turn off and on again and after a few tries it will boot. Once booted it comes back from sleep fine. But booting from being powered down results in click/beep. This has been a very poor laptop. Especially if you include the issue with not being able to go into sleep when 8.1 came along (see the 5737 reviews). Less than 2 years old. Used maybe 2 hours a day. Very poor.

1 Message

December 22nd, 2015 12:00

I too am getting 7 faint beeps and nothing on the monitor on my Dell Inspiron 3721 laptop.  After over 2 hours with Dell Customer Support and finally being told they don't carry the motherboard part and asked me to call back next week, I finally found a motherboard for my dell inspiron 3721 i3-3227u. The cheapest i found is online from China:

www.aliexpress.com/.../32489009857.html

Dell Customer Support really *** and I won't be recommending Dell products to my customers any longer due to their laptops not lasting more than 2 years.

3 Posts

October 23rd, 2017 08:00

Now getting this issue as well. Not even going to attempt a fix.We are living in a disposable age.

No Events found!