Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2013 16:00

Inspiron 1720 Strange battery/charge problem

I have been having a strange problem with my Inspiron 1720 when trying to get it to charge or power up.

All of a sudden, I plugged in my laptop, pressed the power button but nothing happened. The power light flickered then went out, as did the battery light. On the AC adapter the green light lit up for a few seconds, then went out.

I have had an official Dell replacement battery for about 6 months after the original gave up the ghost. I have attached it to a friend's 1720 and it charges fine on that one. I can therefore assume the battery isn't to blame.

I have just bought a new AC adapter however that has given me no joy either. 

I have tried taking out the battery and just going off the AC but that does nothing either.

In desperation I plugged in the AC adapter from my work HP laptop. It has the same input/output and wattage. When i turn on my laptop with that adapter attached, it boots up as normal. However, it does not charge the battery.

Why would a non-laptop specific AC power it up but not charge, when an official AC doesn't do anything at all?

Sadly that's where my knowledge ends. Will it be an issue with the power board? 

thanks,

D

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

July 26th, 2013 17:00

Hi westdun,

It’s good to know that you have already ruled out the possibility of battery being a problem. So the problem either rests with the Motherboard or the AC Adapter. I would request you to kindly follow the steps below

First, we need to drain out the residual power in the computer. Below are the steps on how to go about it:

1. Unplug the Battery
  2. Make sure the charger is not connected to the laptop
  3. Press and hold the Power button down for 40 to 50 seconds
  4. Plug the battery and the Dell AC Adapter back in.

Power on the computer to check if it boots up normally into windows. If it boots up then the problem might have arised due to the residual power left in the laptop. If it does not, then connect your HP Adapter and power up the computer. Once its in windows, go online and download the latest BIOS from the link http://dell.to/19no3iN and then double click on the file to run it.

Note: Make sure no external peripherals are connected to the laptop and the charger is plugged in and also the battery percentage is more than 10% to successfully update the BIOS. Also do not manually power off the computer or unplug the charger and battery during the update.

Once the BIOS is updated, try and check if the Dell Adapter now works properly with the computer or not. Also wiggle the charger to check if the port in the laptop where you plug the charger (DC-in port) is loose or not.

Please reply with the findings and we shall take it from there.

2 Posts

August 4th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for this. Seemed to be the issue of residual power. Everything is now fine.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 5th, 2013 10:00

Hi westdun,

You're welcome. Good to hear that the system is working fine now. Yes at times this happens due to residual power stored in the computer. So removing it at times certainly helps. If you have any other issues please feel free to share it here and we shall get back to you.

Thank you for choosing Dell.

1 Message

April 28th, 2014 10:00

Hello,

I am having an issue, but I have Windows Vista.  I had to buy a new battery for my Dell Inspiron 1720.  Dell no longer makes the battery for this computer.  How can I make it charge?  Please send me a link for the windows vista updated driver.  Thank you! Bree

1 Message

May 19th, 2014 22:00

Hi,

I am having same problem in Dell Inspiron N4050, i tried all possible solutions but no benefit, when i tried to update the BIOS version it says connect your charger and battery although both of them are connected so cant update the BIOS, but i don't think so that BIOS is the problem because BIOS version installed is the latest one. Just don't know what to do now. Please Help!

Please please please help :(

No Events found!