Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 24th, 2014 01:00

Inspiron 17R 5737 does not wake from stand by

I recently bought an Inspiron 17R 5737. I updated directly to windows 8.1. The issue I immediately noticed is that when my laptop goes to sleep mode (either by exceeding some idle time or by closing the lid) there is no way to wake it up. Only after long press of the power button the computer turns off in order to turn in on again.

Any suggestions?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 5th, 2014 04:00

Hi boyan.sharic,

I would suggest you to Switch ON the system and switch OFF the system 3 to 4 times when the Dell logo appears. This will make the system to go into ‘Windows 8.1 Advanced Startup Options’ screen. Please select Troubleshoot option and choose the REFRESH option so that it refreshes the windows operating system and then check for the issue resolution.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 24th, 2014 04:00

Hi boyan.sharic,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS and Video card driver on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

June 24th, 2014 05:00

My first thought was to update BIOS but it seams that TODAY came out the new version of BIOS.

Should I update? Is it safe and tested?

June 25th, 2014 03:00

I installed the new BIOS but sadly, nothing changed.

When I put my computer to sleep, leave it for a few minutes and then hit the power button - the computer turns on like I am powering it up - not like it is coming back from sleep mode.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 27th, 2014 07:00

Hi boyan.sharic,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Open the charms bar by moving the mouse to right top corner of the screen and inthe search box, Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  2. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.
  3. Now select properties.
  4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

June 27th, 2014 19:00

Thank you for your support but I already did that twice.

I even tried with Windows 8 drivers but they would not install, only Windows 8.1 versions.

July 12th, 2014 16:00

Ravi,

Thank you. That actually worked.

Except I didn't need to turn on and off the laptop a 3-4 times to get into advanced startup options - I did it by pressing SHIFT and clicking on the restart button in Windows.

After refresh I installed all my drivers and now the laptop can go into stand by mode.

Only, i can not find the driver for "sm bus controller". Can you help me with that. For Windows 8.1 of course.

1 Message

November 1st, 2014 16:00

Hi,

I have the same problem. You suggested to refresh the computer but it says that it will remove the "apps" that come from a disk or a website. I'm not sure what it means... will it erase the software I downloaded (like Rhino 5, autocad, adobe programs)?

thank you,

Pascale

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

November 1st, 2014 18:00

It only keeps what was installed with Windows, your Dara and any Apps installed on Metro Start Screen. All other programs will need to be reinstalled.

No Events found!