Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

June 22nd, 2013 02:00

Inspiron 17R SE 7720 - mSata problem

Hello,

I recently bought an Inspiron 17R SE 7720 with specs of  8gb RAM, 2*750gb HDD, 32GB mSata, i7 3630QM, Geforce 650M

Later I took out the primary HDD and replaced that with Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD. Also due to a problem with the memory slot I had to change the motherboard with a brand new one right after I bought it.

My problem is that I can't use  the mSATA. I have all my drivers up-to-date. I updated my BIOS to A14

I tried it before and after my motherboard changed. 

I tried it before and after I got my SSD

I tried it with windows 8 and windows 7.

I tried a few clean installations.

I ırecently downloaded all updates to my drivers, even tried some other, newer software from Intel.

Didn't work.

But never once I got the Acceleration tab in my Intel Rapid Storage Technology software.

I want to use the caching function of my mSata drive but...  I can't.

When I check the bios, there's no option for RAID. And I'm stuck here.

Here are some pictures for you to understand better.

How can I enable and use the mSata driver to further improve the performance of my computer?

1.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2013 08:00

Hi Nomadturk,

The mSATA drive can be used to accelerate the conventional HDD. If the operating system is installed on SSD then there is no need to accelerate it any further. The system automatically boots up faster. It is not possible to accelerate SSD further using mSATA drive. However, you may use the mSATA drive for storage purpose.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply if you have any further questions.

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2013 12:00

I see...

So does this mean that if I format it and use it as my installation directory for the program files, thats OK?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2013 13:00

While you can do that, it's not going to hold much -- at 32G it'll only be large enough for a few, relatively small programs.

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2013 17:00

Still, it's better than keeping that as an unused drive. :) If I can't be using it as the cache, that seems better. :)

1.5K Posts

June 25th, 2013 10:00

Hi Nomadturk, 

@ejn63: Thank you for the inputs; appreciate it.

Thank you for the response. Yes you can use mSATA to install operating system. However, as suggested by ejn63 it will just large enough for a few smaller programs. 

Please feel free to reply. I will be glad to assist further.

No Events found!