Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2017 06:00

Inspiron 3521 shuts off after 30 min -- BIOS problem?

My Inspiron 3521 laptop suddenly loses power about 30 minutes after startup.  This behavior started around a month ago.  I ran the system diagnostics with no errors.  There are no associated events in the Win 10 system log.  I checked for overheating, but the CPU temp is around 50C.  I just realized that I had upgraded the BIOS to the latest version A14 right before this behavior started.  I tried downgrading the BIOS to earlier versions A12 and A11, but this behavior still continues.

Is this a known problem with this laptop model or BIOS?  Could there be a timeout due to a driver conflict?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

September 8th, 2017 12:00

Does this happen regardless of AC being plugged in? And have you tried running Diags on the system outside of Windows? Diags can be run by pressing F12 at startup (at the Dell screen before Windows loads). 

Best regards,

Brad

September 8th, 2017 14:00

Hi Brad,

Yes, this happens both with AC plugged in or with battery.  I did run the system diagnostics outside of Windows using F12 on startup, and no errors were reported.  The power shutdown is sudden, with no warnings or error messages within Windows.

Thanks,

Frank

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

September 11th, 2017 10:00

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the update on this, can you Private Message me your Service Tag (please do not post it in the thread)? Also, can you let me know if during Diags, or if you let the system sit in BIOS does it ever shut down? 

Best regards,

Brad

No Events found!