Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2013 13:00

Inspiron 3721 - Do I need to update Intel HM76 chipset driver to HM77?

According to Dell's driver analysis tool, I'm supposed to install the Intel HM77 chipset driver and the Intel Management Interface Driver. However, when I looked into Device Manager I saw that I have Intel HM76 chipset. Is this update recommendation correct? Appreciate the help. I have a Dell Inspiron 3721 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

4 Posts

January 26th, 2014 17:00

Anyone?

September 29th, 2014 00:00

I have the same question about updating the Intel HM76 Chipset Driver to HM77. I have the same laptop model as you, shred3r, Inspiron 17 3721, but with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Today, I decided to try installing the HM77 Chipset Driver. I was told that my installation of the driver was successful. However, when I look at the Device Manager, it still tells me that I have the "Intel(R) HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller - 1E59." I'm no computer expert, but if our laptops came with the HM76 chipset (which they did), the driver for HM77 isn't likely to do anything, is it? (I don't know for sure.)

I was working with a Dell technical support representative until August. He told me that there are things listed on the Dell driver update page for our model of computer which should not be there. These things, though listed, do not work, he said. He intended to let someone know about these errors and have them corrected. I, too, have mentioned the possible errors by means of the survey that sometimes pops up when we're using the Dell website. As far as I can see, not much has changed on the driver download page.

My Dell technician didn't mention the Intel HM77 Chipset Driver as being one of the errors. In fact, a different Dell technical support man tried to install the HM77 driver on my laptop in July. Although neither of us noticed at the time, the technical support person appears to have had no more luck with HM77 than I had today. The Device Manager has always shown HM76. 

It may be a mistake that HM77 is in the Dell driver list for our model of laptop. The entry says, "Applies to Intel HM77 Chipset." Well, I don't believe we have that. The Dell site doesn't say that this driver is "supported" on Inspiron 3721. It says, "This package provides the driver for Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family Mobile and is supported on Inspiron 5521/5721 and Vostro Notebook 2521." It does list our model, Inspiron 3721, under "Compatibility." What exactly these terms mean I do not know! My Dell technical support person felt confident that "supported" and "compatible" meant the same thing. The only thing that is clear to me is that the driver download pages are NOT clear enough. I hope they will be improved.

No Events found!