Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

March 17th, 2008 19:00

Inspiron 6000 - Power button issue (gotta press hard)

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to fix this minor problem....if I shut off/hibernate and want to turn the computer back on I need to press the button extemely hard for it to power back up...also fwiw the caps, # lock, wifi icons don't light up either which are located right next to the button.  Any suggestions how to fix this?

Thanks,

Eric

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 17th, 2008 20:00

Try replacing the control strip above the keyboard. 

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=2663&prevaction=category&previd=141&prevstart=0 

4 Posts

March 17th, 2008 21:00

I just solved a similar problem where all the LEDs and the volume buttons on the control strip stopped working.  Before you order a replacement, remove the control strip:

Ground yourself and disconnect the power from the laptop (which should be off).

Open the display 180 degrees so that it is laying flat.

With a small flat blade screw driver pry up the control strip starting on the left side.

I found that the fabric tape attached to the flex cable connector had become adhered to the hinge and had partially unplugged the connector.  I unplugged it, trimmed the tape, plugged it back in and the control strip works great now.

Good luck! 

617 Posts

March 18th, 2008 03:00

ejn, replacing the center control buttons probably won't do a thing. Easiest way to test would be to remove the strip (open screen 180 degrees and use a flathead screwdriver to remove it) and press the button beneath it.

617 Posts

March 18th, 2008 04:00

Check its connection first. You might need to remove a screw or two to be able to lift it off.

5 Posts

March 18th, 2008 04:00

Hey guys thanks for the responses....I took of the panel above and messin around with that didn't do anything....I think I just need to buy another one of  the power/led boards, guess its just worn from pressing it over the years.  Think that will fix it?  Not sure what else it could be.

Thanks,

Eric 

5 Posts

March 18th, 2008 05:00

Yep I did...was able to get one from ebay for $9 w/shipping  so think that should do the trick. 

Thanks again,
Eric

9 Posts

July 7th, 2017 01:00

aoa i have dell inspiron 5559 i5 6th gen i purchased it 5 months ago in the start it was powered on by gentle press or touch but now its power button is little hard to press (requires little force to press) what i do?

No Events found!