Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2011 17:00

Inspiron 6000 won't POST after attempting to upgrade memory

Earlier today I was attempting to upgrade memory in my friend's old Inspiron 6000, using 2 x 1GB Kingston ValueRam PC2-5300 SoDIMMs.  I realize that the laptop had PC2-3200 SoDIMMs installed, but I had read on some website that faster memory just runs at a lower speed.

After installing the memory, the laptop would not POST.  At first I didn't think that this was too big of a deal, but after putting the original SoDIMMs back in the laptop it still won't POST.  Now I worry that I burned out something.  Anyone know if there is anything that I can do to fix this laptop?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 18th, 2011 17:00

Remove the battery, unplug the system and hold the power button for 30 seconds.  Reinstall (or reseat) the original RAM and see if the system will power up.

When you did the memory install, did you unplug the system and remove the battery?

13 Posts

March 19th, 2011 00:00

I forgot to mention, disconnecting the battery, reseating the ram,  and pressing the power button for 30 seconds didn't help.  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 19th, 2011 04:00

If you're sure the memory is firmly seated (double check) then yes - it is likely you damaged the system board.  The board is live whenever the system is plugged in or the battery is charged and in place - you MUST remove power before adding or removing internal parts like RAM or the hard drive.

13 Posts

March 29th, 2011 20:00

I just replaced the system board with one that I purchased on eBay.  Its almost the same model, except with a discrete graphics card, faster processor, and 2 x 512gb so-dimms.  It seemed like a pretty good deal.  

Anyway, after installing the replacement components, I started up the laptop and it is doing EXACTLY what it was doing before.  You can hear the fans spin up, then it just stops.  Nothing ever appears on the screen.

I'm at a loss to explain what the problem could be now.  Could the AC power adapter be bad?  That's my only guess.  Seems kinda out there, but I think I replaced everything else that it could be.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

Mike

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 30th, 2011 05:00

Does the LED on the adapter come on when you plug it into the wall, but not the system?

13 Posts

March 30th, 2011 18:00

Does the LED on the adapter come on when you plug it into the wall, but not the system?

The LED on both the system and the adapter come on when it is plugged in.

13 Posts

April 1st, 2011 13:00

Please let me know if anyone can think of anything that I could try to get this laptop to POST.

Seems like something else may have been shorted out.  I replaced the system board, cpu, and memory.  The only things left to replace (including things that I can't think how they could matter) are the fan, bottom chassis, palm rest, display assembly, modem, wifi card, and AC adapter.  The AC adapter is the only thing that makes sense, but the LED comes on when its plugged in so I think its working okay.  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 1st, 2011 16:00

The most likely cause would be that you received a dead system board - have the seller replace it.

No Events found!