Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

December 6th, 2008 18:00

Inspiron 600m - blank screen

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m running Windows XP.  When I boot up everything is fine for a few minutes, but eventually (if I'm on wall power) the screen will go blank after a few minutes.  The computer itself still runs normally, and I can still use it with an external monitor.  If I make the computer hibernate, upon waking the screen will come on again, but then go blank again after a couple minutes.  The screen only goes blank if the computer is plugged in, but once it has gone blank unplugging does not bring it back.  If it is on battery after booting or waking, then the screen stays on for the life of the battery, unless I plug it back in, in which case it will go blank a few minutes after plugging in.

Anybody have any idea about what is going on here?  Is there anything I can do to remedy this problem?

1 Message

January 12th, 2009 08:00

I also have a Dell Inspiron 600m running Windows XP. I am having similar laptop screen issues.  However, my screen goes blank after approximately 12 seconds and it doesn't matter if I am on battery power or AC power. When I do get the laptop screen to come on it has a red tint at first and sometimes is a reduced image size. This all happened on 1/11/09 when I was searching Web MD. The screen actually has an image but it is too dim to see-attempts at adjusting the brightness with the FN and Cursor Up key do not help.  I have run a deep virus scan, a root kit scan, welcha (sp?) worm scans and nothing has shown up. I have checked all the power management settings and there are no flags in the hardware device manager for either monitor or the ATI display adapter. The only changes I have made to the hardware or software recently is upgrade the memory from 256mb to 2gb on 1/8/09 with memory I purchased from Dell.  And, of course, my laptop is out of warranty so Dell would gig me for support! I can use and external monitor thankfully but I really need the laptop monitor and the external monitor.  In searching for tags (do they work) I noticed that there are many Dell laptop models with this issue.

Any ideas anyone?

1 Message

February 22nd, 2009 03:00

I have an Inspiron 6400 and am experiencing exactly the same problem. Only change I know is that just before the problem occurring I had attepted to download an XP update and the download was interrupted. I can operate on battery but not on mains power.

Have you been able to find out what the fix is?

1 Message

December 5th, 2009 14:00

I am experiencing the same problem with my 6400. Did you get yours fixed? If so, please let me know how you fixed it. Thanks in advance.

1 Message

July 3rd, 2010 15:00

I also have a Dell Inspiron 600m running Windows XP.  Had the same issue of the screen turning black a short time after turn on.  Could still make things out under bright light.  I ended up replacing the LCD invertor and it fixed the problem.  Go to http://frankdzedzy.com/2006/03/28/disassembling-a-dell-laptop-display/ for a great tutorial on how to take apart your laptop lcd screen.

1 Message

November 21st, 2011 11:00

Same issue her.  It sounds like I need to replace the LDC invetor.  I called Dell but had gotten a major run around since this laptop is out of warrenty plus over 6 years old...

1 Message

November 29th, 2011 10:00

I have the same issue with an Inspiron 1721 running vista. Such a bad machine I will not buy Dell in the future.

No Events found!