Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

10 Posts

November 24th, 2003 20:00

Inspiron 600m freezing due to touchpad

I've only had my 600m for a week and it's constantly freezing due to the touchpad...

I updated the bios, reset the bios, turned off the ports incase of IRQ interference, updated windows xp, installed and tested different touchpad drivers (alps, synap, microsoft)....im getting no errors, no conflicts....even re-installed windows 3 times without any extra software...I ran the dell diagnostics and everything came out clean....when i have a usb mouse hooked up i have no problems at all....as soon as i disconnect it and attempt to use the touchpad, it freezes...i even disabled the touchpad in the bios....when disabled it never froze...as soon as it was re-enabled it would freeze the laptop, sometimes without even touching the touchpad...in other words, I TRIED EVERYTHING!  I've noticed that there are many other customers suffering from the same problem...has this issue been solved? Thanks!

Inspiron 600m,14.1 SXGA+, 1.4GHZ,with 64MB Video
256MB,DDR,266MHz 2 Dimms
30GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

121 Posts

November 25th, 2003 19:00

I thought I had very similar problems, after updating all the drivers, bios, and replacing a bad ram module (that didn't show up as bad on the diagnostics) the problem has completely gone away....

the bad ram module was from crucial (they were happy to replace it).

I couldnt tell you exactly which step fixed this though.

10 Posts

November 25th, 2003 20:00

thanks for your response kayatai.  seems we have the exact same problem.  did dell replace the bad ram module? 

10 Posts

November 26th, 2003 15:00

Thanks kayatai! I'll try the ram test that you recommended.  If the ram turns out to be the problem, hopefully Dell will replace the ram without me having to send my whole laptop back.

10 Posts

dell moderator,

Faulty ram modules are covered under the warranty, yes?  Would Dell send me replacements?  Once received, I can send back the faulty modules.  Please advise. Thank you.

121 Posts

dell ram was fine, it was the ram I got from crucial that was bad, they replaced it no questions asked (lifetime warrenty)

to find out if it is one of your ram modules you could try using only 1 stick at a time and see if the problem clears up... that is if  you are willing to live with 1/2 your ram for as long as it takes to find out.

December 5th, 2003 09:00

Hey guys. I just got my 600m a couple of months ago, and The same exact problem is occuring with mine. When you say freeze, does your program, like internet explorer, not completly load, and give you a (not responding) message?  I am so frustrated with this. OH, Did either of you get an annoying squeaking sound from your ram cover, on the bottom? It gets real bad when you have it in your lap.  One more problem I have with the mousepad is that the right side of the "touch pad" is lower than the left. Kind of like it it's falling in on one side.  I am sick of trying to get help from dell support, b/c they make things twice as hard.       By the way, one of my Pegs came of the bottom, so I get a very nice wobble when typing, and I think that everyone at my Univ. Library hates me.   WHat should I try? 

121 Posts

December 5th, 2003 12:00

@juggleheadMD wrote:
Hey guys. I just got my 600m a couple of months ago, and The same exact problem is occuring with mine. When you say freeze, does your program, like internet explorer, not completly load, and give you a (not responding) message?  I am so frustrated with this. OH, Did either of you get an annoying squeaking sound from your ram cover, on the bottom? It gets real bad when you have it in your lap.  One more problem I have with the mousepad is that the right side of the "touch pad" is lower than the left. Kind of like it it's falling in on one side.  I am sick of trying to get help from dell support, b/c they make things twice as hard.       By the way, one of my Pegs came of the bottom, so I get a very nice wobble when typing, and I think that everyone at my Univ. Library hates me.   WHat should I try? 

You should try returning it or having it serviced, lol.  Squeaking sound from ram cover?  while the machine is on or are you pressing it or something?

Freezing problem would be the entire system would freeze, mouse wouldn't respond, there would be no blue screen, but ctrl-alt-del would not bring up task manager and you would be forced to hold down the power button to do a hard power off.

10 Posts

December 5th, 2003 15:00

Hello fellow frustrated dell customers!  JuggleheadMD, i have the exact same problem as kayatai, the whole system would just freeze.  I don't even have to be doing anything.  But when I had a usb mouse plugged in, there was never a freeze.  Kayatai, I went the same route as you did.  My system originally came with 256Mb of ram...I upgraded to 512Mb crucial ram.  I just installed it yesterday and worked on my computer for 2 hours without any problems!  The freeze problem is definitely due to the ram dell is sending with our laptops as kayatai mentioned to this post previously.  I'm gonna contact dell and see if they can compensate me somehow for giving me faulty ram.  Kayatai, did you complain about the same problem with the bad ram module to dell?

10 Posts

December 5th, 2003 15:00

As we can see, the dell moderators are not responding to our problems at all...seems they respond to other posts...since there are quite a few of us suffering from this freezing problem, I wonder why they aren't addressing it? 

121 Posts

December 5th, 2003 18:00

@wrecksjr wrote:
Hello fellow frustrated dell customers!  JuggleheadMD, i have the exact same problem as kayatai, the whole system would just freeze.  I don't even have to be doing anything.  But when I had a usb mouse plugged in, there was never a freeze.  Kayatai, I went the same route as you did.  My system originally came with 256Mb of ram...I upgraded to 512Mb crucial ram.  I just installed it yesterday and worked on my computer for 2 hours without any problems!  The freeze problem is definitely due to the ram dell is sending with our laptops as kayatai mentioned to this post previously.  I'm gonna contact dell and see if they can compensate me somehow for giving me faulty ram.  Kayatai, did you complain about the same problem with the bad ram module to dell?

Actually it was a bad crucial module, not dell.  The dell supplied ram was fine, crucial replaced the other one for me.  I suggest using 1 ram module at a time and seeing if the problem persists.  This could not be your problem at all.

December 6th, 2003 01:00

Hey again. This morning I called Dell support, you know, the """"Award winning Support""""""  and I was told they would send me a box to ship my laptop  back to them, to repair. I asked how long and they said it would be a total of 5-10 days. Screw that. I bought this new laptop in Oct, because I needed a new updated pc for school, and I was also tired of all the problems with my other laptop. It was a Dell Latitude CPi-A. I told the lady from Dell that I couldn't wait that long for repairs, and she said "well, it is your decision"    I then reminded her that the reason I bought this new expensive laptop was to avoid all this problems, b/c I am moving next week to a new school. So basically I feel that I bought a brand new piece of S***!  What are your thoughts? Is that great service????    

I also think the problems with performance in this model are b/c of the location of the mousepad located right above the ram module. The ram gets so hot, and it affects the touchpad. Maybe???

No Events found!