Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2017 18:00

Inspiron 7378 Cracked Screen from Opening Lid

Looks like this is a common problem with Inspiron 7000 line.  At least on the 7378, the lid flexes too much while opening while holding a corner, leading to the glass to crack after owning it only 100 days.  The crack follows the flex seam exactly.  It's never been dropped or mishandled.  $239 to replace.  This should be an in warrantee fix, obvious design flaw.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2017 19:00

I have a 17 inch and realized how much torque would be produced by opening the system from opposite ends.  It does have a place in the middle meant for opening but I suppose folks, once they open it partially will grab the left and right corners to finish.  Closing it is a different story and can be initiated from other than optimum hand positions.

If I was designing one, I might concentrate the friction part of the hinge in the middle and allow the other hinges to be for alignment only.

I have been very careful with this 17 inch since it is fairly heavy.

February 6th, 2017 09:00

Apparently 100 day old Dell computers no longer have parts available (after they checked before I sent it).  So they are sending it back unfixed.  This is the first and last Dell computer I will buy.  What a joke of a company.  No wonder Microsoft needs to build their own computers.  All their OEMs are garbage.  I'll go buy a Surface book.  At least Microsoft has always handled any warranty issues I've had in the past in a satisfactory way. (I wonder if they will charge me for the shipping).

No Events found!