Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

July 10th, 2004 18:00

Inspiron 8200 wont enter stanby

The error message blames the modem.  However if I disable the modem, it just blames something else.  Dell Techies are fishing for answers.  So far I have downloaded new modem drivers, updated video drivers and checked numerous settings.  The suggestions are being to get work intensive.  Next they want to reinstall original video drivers and if that doesn't work.....  I am to do a "Repair" installation of XP.  Now doesn't that sound reassuring.

Has anyone had experience with this and did it actually get fixed?

I appreciate and suggestions or recommendations.
Thanks, Phil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inspiron 8200, WinXP Pro
Axim X30, 64/64/624

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 10th, 2004 20:00

This is almost certainly a problem with a certain driver (although it could be almost any one). Did you uninstall your old drivers before installing new ones? You could try uninstalling your modem and video drivers through add/remove programs in control panel, restarting the computer and installing the latest ones again. Do you have service pack 1? If you don't, download it from the Microsoft website. Also try reinstalling your chipset drivers - available from the Dell website or from the Intel website (the Intel version is more recent. It will probably ask you which chipset you have - you have an 845 chipset).
After trying to go into standby again, you could go to control panel, administrative tools, event viewer and see if there is a problem with any specific program or driver.
You could also try closing all running programs before going into standby to see if one of them may be the cause (press ctrl-alt-del and choose processes. Close anything you don't recognise that has your name next to it).
Finally, you could go to control panel, administrative tools, services and stop anything that you think might be related to the error message you receive when you go into standby. (Don't worry about stopping any programs or services in the ways that I have described - they will be started again when you restart the computer).

5 Posts

July 12th, 2004 01:00

Thanks for your response.  I have faithfully downloaded and installed every update offered for my Dell (that applies to my hardware) as well as all fixes/updates/downloads from Microsoft for XP.  It is possible that the video drivers might be a problem.  Some of Dell's documentation on the applicabilty of the update is sketchy.  It is hard to tell if it applies to you.  So much for "Downloads for my System".

Thanks again, I'll keep exploring.

Phil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inspiron 8200, WinXP Pro
Axim X30, 64/64/624

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 12th, 2004 10:00

Have you downloaded the latest video BIOS update as well as the latest driver? It is required for the latest video drivers to work correctly. If you have a Geforce2 Go, you should update your system BIOS (preferably via the floppy method) in order to get this update. If you have any of the other cards, you should download a specific video BIOS update separately from the system BIOS.
You could also try a modified video driver from http://www.laptopvideo2go.com.

5 Posts

July 12th, 2004 20:00

I downloaded and install all of the bios updates as well as any other update for the computer and the video.  I have a Geforce 4 440 GO video card.

Thanks for your assistance. Phil

Inspiron 8200, WinXP Pro
Axim X30, 64/64/624

No Events found!