Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

October 17th, 2012 18:00

Inspiron 8500 Fan Voltage

Hello, I recently acquired an Inspiron 8500 laptop, and upon using it I noticed the fan does not seem to come on. Using a multimeter I am only seeing 1.05v to the pins for the fan. To be more specific I am talking about the cooling fan that is attached to the bottom of the case, with its own little panel that easily removes, NOT the heatsink fan.

Is this motherboard on its way out? Is there possibly an easy fix? Or do I just need a new fan?

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

October 17th, 2012 20:00

Hi TheEvilZX2,

I suggest you to reset the BIOS to its defaults. To reset the bios, turn on the system, on dell logo press or tap on F2 key to go to BIOS settings page. Click ‘ALT + F’ to reset system set up to factory default settings. Press ‘Esc’ to exit for the BIOS screen. Please check if the fans spin. In case the issue not resolved flash bios to the latest version.

Click on the link give below to flash the bios to the latest version:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-8500.

Click on ‘BIOS’ and install the latest BIOS update. Please connect the ac adapter as this step needs uninterrupted power supply. In case you have connected any external devices, disconnect them as well.  Do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop. 

After flashing BIOS if the issue still persists, I suggest that you reseat the fan and the connection to the fan and check. In case the fan does not spin, the option is to test with the good known fan.  Even with the good known fan, if there is no spin, I suspect the mother board is faulty.

Thanks and Regards,                                             
Sujatha K
#iworkfordell

3.8K Posts

May 29th, 2013 06:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                    

No Events found!