Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 16th, 2011 10:00

Inspiron Duo Touch Screen Calibration

I recently bought my wife the Duo. Upon trying out the touch screen, I've run into some issues with the accuracy. I did the first thing that came to mind, try to calibrate it. Well, that would be useful if it actually worked. I opened up the calibration program and it tried to follow the directions on the screen, only it says to touch the crosshairs wherever they appear. The first one is in the upper left corner and does not respond when I touch it.  The touch screen seems to work sporadically when using it in general such as allowing me to select certain icons on the desktop, but not others. I assumed the problem was with objects near the edge of the screen, but it allows me to select some but not others.  The paint type program that comes with Duo Stage works great though, so I'm lost as to what I can do now. Also, I can select some of the programs within Duo Stage but not others. I've updated (or tried for some) every driver on Dell's site to no avail. It cost me $900 total for the computer, options and JBL Dock. So far, this is turning out to be a HUGE waste of money.

2 Posts

February 12th, 2012 06:00

Our Dell Duo arrived yesterday and my wife was ecstatic.  She got it up and running and within a minute was asking for help with the pad, that is nearly non-responsive.  I took her the calibration program and said to follow the directions.  It didn't work. It appears that the screen cannot be calibrated.  I knew the screen wouldn't be as sharp and as nice as the iPad, but I do expect it work nearly as well as one.  Using the Duo as a laptop it seems to work fine.  When you close it to use as a pad, that's when it goes south.  Example 1.  Browser open: when touching any part of the browser nothing happens or it minimizes.  Example 2: when, after as many as 15+ attempts to touch the start button, it appears but not a single item in the list can be opened - as soon as I touch a program it disappears.  The touch screen, as of now, seems to be in the infancy development stages where Dell has the platform down but now need to develop the screen sensitivity for smooth operation and the software for it to work. 

Also, suggestion... Dell, please install a light next to the camera lens to light up the keyboard, use back lighting, anything.  The black on black is nearly impossible to see in a fairly dark area (bedroom, living room, plane at night).

2 Posts

May 10th, 2013 23:00

I know this is old, but it comes up in the searches so I thought I would add what worked for me. I went to the calibration screen and tried to calibrate the screen. This didn't work for me either. Most things were fine, but I could not touch anything close to the top edge of the screen (and some icons would not activate). So, if I had chrome open, I could not close it unless I used the touch pad. I went back to the calibration program and hit RESET instead of calibrate. Now everything works and I can use the full screen again.

2 Posts

May 10th, 2013 23:00

Use RESET instead of calibrate.

No Events found!