Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2017 08:00

Installing Windows 7 64 bit on a vostro 3500 which ran Win 7 32

Hi all,

I am on a very steep learning curve here from a state of almost ignorance, so please make answers simple :-)

My husband's Vostro 3500 hard drive died so I decided to put Win 7 64 bit on instead of the 32 bit. The computer is capable of running 64 as we had a choice of versions when we bought it. I say 'it' but we actually bought two at the same time and mine is still working.

So, I got 64 bit SP 1 version from Microsoft, I formatted and partitioned the drives so I had a system drive; this was all new to me but I am confident I did it right. I installed 64 bit from the disc and it all ran but wanted a cable to connect to the internet and looked like it was running in safe mode.

I then installed the Dell drivers from the 32 bit Drivers and Utilities disc, checking that they weren't 32 bit specific. The computer then looked as it should except it wouldn't set up an internet connection. In networking it didn't give me the opportunity to set up as a Home or Public, that bit just didn't appear and I couldn't get round it. No internet in any way!

I then spent another couple of days reading and following leads and eventually it seemed it could be nothing but the fact that I had not installed Dell's System Support, and had not known the order to install the drivers.

So, I downloaded the SS for Windows 7 and Vostro 3500; which I must say was very difficult to find. I reformatted the disc, partitioned, installed ..... everything good. Installed System Support and the chipset drivers, restarted. And everything grinds to a halt.

I recollect that the drivers for the chipset were listing 32 bit when installing but I wasn't paying full attention and thought I'd just missed the bit where they did the 64 and for some reason both were being installed ..... As I said I was ignorant when I started all this.

I can not do anything with the computer now. I can't get it to go to the command prompt even so I can reformat. I have ordered an enclosure so I can take the hard drive out and reformat it from my computer.

So this leaves me with problems I need your help with.

Did the System Support read the computer somehow and think it was 32?

How can I stop this happening next time?

If I don't install the System Support how do I get it to attach to the internet?

Sorry this is so long.

532 Posts

April 5th, 2017 23:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

We hear your concern. We’d suggest you to reinstall the Operating system using the media purchased from Microsoft. Once you’ve installed the OS, please install all the drivers from the manufacture’s website. Here’s the link which has the order in which driver has to be installed.

With regards to dell system support, we recommend you to use the same with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version. As you already have a retail copy of the OS, you can install the drivers from manufacturer website as mentioned above. The system should absolutely work fine. Let us know if you face any concerns.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 6th, 2017 06:00

I would advise installing Windows 10 RS2 64 Bit instead. The Windows 10 64 Bit RS2 .iso will accept your Windows 7 OEM Product key on the systems COA (located under the battery).

Windows 10 64 Bit should have all the necessary drivers for this system either inbuilt or obtain them automatically via Windows Update.

April 7th, 2017 12:00

Thank you both for your replies.

Lijo, does that mean that the Dell System Support does check the computer for some sort of marker to say what exactly was on the machine before? Should System Support therefore always be avoided when changing OS?

How do I know which drivers I need when I look at the Dell website for the Vostro? For example there are three different graphics drivers. Do I need them all or are they just for different possible set ups and I only need the one for mine? What happens if I download drivers I don't need? Does it matter?

Philip, I thought the free upgrade to windows 10 had finished?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 8th, 2017 01:00

Philip, I thought the free upgrade to windows 10 had finished?

Microsoft initially marketed Windows 10 as a Free Upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 during the first year of its launch. However they had to fix the activation mechanism of Windows 10 in the TH2 build so Windows 10 installation media accepts Windows 7 OEM and Windows 8.x OEM keys. This activation still works as I demonstrate with the RS2 build a couple of days ago:

April 11th, 2017 11:00

Thanks Philip. I have watched your video but I am still a bit confused.

I understand about how to activate Windows 10 after it is installed but don't understand how you went to the Windows 10 options in the first place.

I found the sound on the video very quiet so it may be that I missed something you said. I would be grateful for further explanation.

Thanks in anticipation.

April 11th, 2017 11:00

Hi Lijo,

I am not sure what you mean about using the System Support. Do you mean I must only use it if I am reinstalling Windows 7 32 bit and that I should not use it when using the Windows 7 64 bit? On the instructions it says I must install the System Support first before anything else.

How do I know exactly which drivers to install? There are three different graphics drivers, are they for different machine set ups? If so will it cause problems if I download things I don't need?

Thanks. AS

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 12th, 2017 10:00

That was just a demonstration of the actual activation I have been working on updated installation guides for the new build the last couple of days. See the following:

Downloading Windows 10 RS2 Build 15063/Version 1703 from Microsoft via the Media Creation Tool (Written Guide Updated)

Creating a Windows 10 Bootable USB for a UEFI BIOS within Windows (Written Guide Updated)

Installation of Windows 10 RS2 Build 15063/Version 1703 for a UEFI BIOS (Written Guide Updated)

No Events found!