Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

December 27th, 2011 14:00

Installing backlit replacement keyboard on Inspiron 1720

I purchased my inspiron 1720 about four years ago and just replaced the keyboard with part (nsk-d8001).  The keyboard looks identical to my old one except that it has what I assume to be a backlight ribbon sticking out from underneath. Where does this ribbon go? I don't see an obvious location for it and my old keyboard didn't have this ribbon. Can the inspiron 1720 support a backlit keyboard?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 27th, 2011 15:00

I don't think that system ever had the option of a backlit keyboard, no.

6 Posts

June 14th, 2013 14:00

The keyboard you installed in your Inspiron 1720 was made for a XPS M1730. The keyboards are identical except for the backlit feature. The Vostro 1720 also has this same keyboard without the illumination.  

July 29th, 2016 13:00

I think it may be possible to light it up with an Inspiron 1720.

The backlit keyboard (model: NSK-D8101, DP/N: 0PM318), for the Dell XPS M1730, requires an input voltage of +12V DC and draws 110mA.  The ribbon cable has 4 copper pad connections.  Only two of which are required to light up the keyboard.  The other two connections are used by the BIOS of the XPS M1730  to check if the ribbon cable is plugged in.  Here are the pad descriptions:

Pads 1 and 2 are used by the BIOS for ribbon cable detection.  Looking further down on the ribbon, you will see that these two connections are joined together.  A multi-meter will show that there is continuity between these two pads.  For the Inspiron 1720, ignore these two connections since there's no BIOS support for detecting if the ribbon cable is plugged in.

Pad 3 is GND

Pad 4 is VCC, +12V DC

What's the best way to get the +12V from inside my Dell Inspiron 1720? The original non-backlit keyboard reads "12V DC 50mA", printed on the reverse side of the keyboard.  The lights of my new backlit keyboard draws an extra 110mA (verified with a multi-meter).  Is it OK to power the keyboard backlighting from the keyboard interface?  Just don't want to draw too much power somewhere it's not expected and potentially cause much damage. 

July 29th, 2016 17:00

I think it may be possible to light it up with an Inspiron 1720.

The backlit keyboard (model: NSK-D8101, DP/N: 0PM318), for the Dell XPS M1730, requires an input voltage of +12V DC and draws 110mA.  The ribbon cable has 4 copper pad connections.  Only two of which are required to light up the keyboard.  The other two connections are used by the BIOS of the XPS M1730 to check if the ribbon cable is plugged in.  Here are the pad descriptions:

Pads 1 and 2 are used by the BIOS for ribbon cable detection.  Looking further down on the ribbon, you will see that these two connections are joined together.  A multi-meter will show that there is continuity between these two pads.  For the Inspiron 1720, ignore these two connections since there's no BIOS support for detecting if the ribbon cable is plugged in.

Pad 3 is GND

Pad 4 is VCC, +12V DC

What's the best way to get the +12V from inside my Dell Inspiron 1720? The original non-backlit keyboard reads "12V DC 50mA", printed on the reverse side of the keyboard.  The lights of my new backlit keyboard draws an extra 110mA (verified with a multi-meter).  Is it OK to power the keyboard backlighting from the keyboard interface?  Just don't want to draw too much power somewhere it's not expected and potentially cause much damage.

No Events found!