Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2009 20:00

Intel Matrix Manager Hangs on Startuop

I bought a e6400 six weeks ago.  The machine hangs on startup when it gets to the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (and before XP loads).  Replaced the motherboard and hard drive, but still does it, intermittently.  Nobody at Tech Support has a clue.  Also, I updated to the latest version 8.8.  Also, the machine hangs at Windows shutdown, and I have to remove the battery.  I am at the end of my rope.   Does ANYBODY have any idea what is causing this?

Thanks!

8 Posts

August 16th, 2009 14:00

I have the same issue and  have noticed it has to do with any type of USB HardDrive being plugged in to the system at startup (this includes an Apple iPod).

I have no idea how to fix this issue but was able to stop the hanging by removing the USB drives at startup.

Any help from anyone out there would be appriciated!

8 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 17:00

I too have had the same issue on 3 different laptops.

One had a USB drive attached and removing it was fixed the issue.

One had an HP printer attached with build-in card reader...unplugging it fixed the issue.

The other had a eSata drive dock with no drive in it....turning it off fixed the issue.

It appears if you plug anything into the system that has to do with storage either USB or eSata it causes the Intel Matrix Manager to hang while it tries to read the drives.

I don't even know why Dell included this stupid software in the Latitude and Precision line of laptops as this is a softare RAID....these laptops can only hold 1 drive so they will NEVER EVER be able to had a RAID set of drives (you need at least 2 drives for RAID to work).

I wish someone at Dell would answer us on this!!!!

1 Message

February 17th, 2010 07:00

Is there any update on this issue? We just bought 42 Latitude E6400 ATG's, and all have the same problem. It is a major problem, because in our scenario we are forced to install the operating systems with USB. Which is impossible because of this bug :emotion-12:

March 24th, 2010 08:00

I have a similar problem with my M4400, if I plug in a USB SATA drive the system becomes unstable, and it has even trashed the partition on my work drive. Dell Tech support is looking in to it but this seems a major oversight by Dell in specifiying their systems. I have never known a laptop where it is not possible to attach a USB hard drive.

Changing the BIOS to AHCI mode helps a bit but my system is still not usable. Interestingly; it does not have any problems with USB PATA drives.

1 Message

October 14th, 2011 00:00

All of a sudden had the same issue on my E6400 work laptop. Fixed by booting into the recovery console off a Win CD and running fixmbr followed by fixboot. Now running a virus scan followed by a scan disk, but i think this is just due to the boot sector getting corrupt.
No Events found!