Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2013 17:00

Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver for 7720 inspiron 17r special edition

I have a 7720, 17r spec edition. and my usb 3.0 stick isnt working but it does work oni my windows 8 desktop. so far neither microsoft no dell has been able to figure it out.

Im pretty sure it is the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver.  but when i try to install the one on the intel website i get a message saying that my system inst compatible. so i tried to download it from the dell website and it says it cant be found!!!

its really disapointing when your brand new computer doesnt work.

September 26th, 2013 10:00

Hola Appu !

I'm too facing the same problem with the special edition 7720. Went for a Motherboard replacement today, but still facing the same problem.

Hope the issue lies with USB 3 Port & Win 8. Tried all the steps and suddenly the ports were working for some minutes with a message " Power surge on the USB Port" and again USB 3 Extensible host controller error came into the picture. I'm facing the problem for past 4 months, hope Dell should look on this issue at priority.   

- Vimal.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

September 27th, 2013 00:00

Hi Vimal,

Please send me the service tag of the computer and the first and last name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Send a Private Message). Let me look into this and check the further course of action.

13 Posts

September 27th, 2013 19:00

Just had an interesting development which proves that it is not a hardware fault but it is indeed a software fault.

My son in law works in IT & he booted the computer from a Unbuntu (linex system) bootable USB flash drive inserted into one of the USB 3 ports on the computer. This proves that the USB ports do work. It also proves that there is a problem with the windows 8 drivers for USB 3 on the inspiron 7720.

Dell needs to sort this problem out. My dell inspiron 7720 is not the only computer that has this problem. Just check the internet.

regards Pete

13 Posts

September 27th, 2013 20:00

Forgot to mention that when the computer was booted normally into windows 8, the Ubuntu usb flash drive could  not be recognized although it was in exactly the same usb 3 drive when it had booted the computer.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

October 1st, 2013 06:00

Hi Pete,

Thank you for the update. I am looking into this issue. Please allow me 2-3 business days; will keep you posted.

13 Posts

October 4th, 2013 00:00

Hi Appu S

Just another update. I used my Norton bootable recovery tool (bootable USB flash drive) to successfully boot the Laptop.

If this can get the USB 3.0 ports to work, why can't Dell, Intel or Microsoft windows 8 do the same??

It is a software USB 3.0 driver problem & Dell should be able to sort it out........

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

October 4th, 2013 05:00

Hi Pete/Vimal,

Please go to Device Manager -> click on View -> click on Show Hidden Devices. Please post a screenshot.

Also, boot into BIOS -> restart the computer -> tap F2 key on Dell logo -> this will take BIOS screen. Move to Advanced tab -> choose Miscellaneous Devices -> check if USB debug is Disabled. If it is enabled, then change it to Disabled, save the settings by pressing F10 key. Restart the computer and check.

13 Posts

October 4th, 2013 14:00

Hi Appu S

Checked Bios & USB debug is Disabled.

here is device manager showing hidden devices for USB controllers. There are no yellow exclamations marks anywhere in device manager.

October 6th, 2013 10:00

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

October 8th, 2013 04:00

Hi Pete,

Would request you to provide the service tag of the computer and the first and last name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Send a Private Message) so that I can check the further course of action.

13 Posts

October 8th, 2013 15:00

Info has been sent via a private message as requested.

13 Posts

October 9th, 2013 05:00

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171112191683?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This is the item i bought from ebay.com.au
the seller said that he bought the dell laptop at a dell auction.
he is still selling dell products which i believe he buys at dell auctions.
check out his other items.
i agree that i need the OEM media to install again.
i sent you the service tag but i dont know who the name is that is associated with the service tag.
i am now the current legal owner - who the original owner was i do not know.
the laptop is less than 5 months old according to the bios date.
if you cannot send the OEM media for free then i may be able to pay a fee & download it?

13 Posts

October 12th, 2013 16:00

Appu S

Thanks for all your help over the last few weeks.

I will just continue to use the laptop without any USB 3 ports.

I obtained a wireless scanner/printer & a bluetooth mouse & i use to SD card slot to transfer data to & from the computer.

Maybe the windows 8.1  upgrade due out next week will fix the problem.

Many thanks again for your help

rgds Pete

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

October 15th, 2013 03:00

Hi Pete,

Thank you for the response. Hopefully, Windows 8.1 might fix the issue. Keeping fingers crossed.

13 Posts

November 16th, 2016 20:00

Hi  Appu S !

I have a similar problem  with my dell 7720   !

I  have  seen  yellow exclamation marks  with the USB drivers !

I uninstalled  all  of  them  then restart  and  at that  time  THERE IS not a single

working USB socket !!!  (before 4  right  sockets )

All  sockets are  "dead"  !

I have windows 10  and   please  help  me  to  reach  my  USB connections again !

I  have a  driverbooster  program  and  all  drivers   checked  !

They are all up to date   and there is not a  single  MISSING  driver !

thx  for your  advise  it  would be urgent  .

I don't  want to reset  my OS  !  

zimike

I made a troubleshooting with windows 10,but  all was  well  found :  

Windows 10 troubleshooting  results :

My device manager :

No Events found!