Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2012 13:00

Internal mic not working

i purchased new InspironN5050 , while am trying voice chat interanal mic and speaker not working, 

but wen i using listen to this device i can hear a sound from mic and while  testing sound speaker also working. please help me?

8 Posts

August 19th, 2012 14:00

how do you get to this ^^^  my mic isnt working and they were gonna charge me to fix it. i have no money. please help i dont know how to get my mic working.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 19th, 2012 17:00

ow do you get to this ^^^  my mic isnt working and they were gonna charge me to fix it. i have no money. please help i dont know how to get my mic working.

What model laptop do you have and what operating system?

8 Posts

August 19th, 2012 18:00

dell inspiron 1521

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 19th, 2012 20:00

dell inspiron 1521

What operating system? The 1521 model had Sigmatel audio hardware so you should have the Sigmatel driver for your OS installed.

Not all 1521's had an internal mic. The 1521 came with an optional webcam. The internal mic array is part of the webcam so be sure it was ordered at the time of purchase. To set up the mic array,

For the external mic, go to the Sounds properties Recording tab and select "Microphone Array" as the default recording device. When it is set as the default it will have the green check next to it.

If you just see "High Definition Audio Device" and not "Sigmatel High Definition Audio Codec" then the Sigmatel audio driver is not installed. In that case install the Sigmatel driver for your OS.

If you do not see an option to select mic array it could be disabled, in which case

1. Go to Start>Control Panel>Sound>Recording tab
       or Start>Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Manage Audio Devices>Recording tab

2. Right click in blank area of the Recording tab

3. Select "Show Disabled Devices"

4. "Microphone Array" or "External Microphone" should appear

5. Right click on "Microphone Array" and select "Enable".

6. Set to be the "Default Device"

For the mic array to work you might need to start Webcam Central:

1. Click Start
   2. Click All Programs
   3. Click the Dell Webcam
   4. Click Webcam Central to start the program.
   5. In the lower right-hand corner of the Dell Webcam Central window, click the drop-down arrow next to the picture of the microphone. Select Microphone. Make sure it is not muted.

If you do not have the Webcam Central, install the Creative Labs Integrated Webcam Drive for XP and Vista OS.

If you are trying to run the mic tests in Dell Diagnostics, see the instructions in Dell Diagnostics Audio Tests and look at the screen shots above this post. Note that if the original hard drive has been wiped or replaced you will no longer have Dell Diagnostics, in which case you can run it from the Utilities cd if one came with your laptop.

8 Posts

August 20th, 2012 15:00

i dont have that sigmatel thing on my laptop... how do i download it..

8 Posts

August 20th, 2012 15:00

Microphone Array" or "External Microphone" dont appear :/ and my laptop came with a webcam.

8 Posts

August 20th, 2012 19:00

how would i find that out? i have windows vista?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 20th, 2012 19:00

What operating system?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 20th, 2012 20:00

i have windows vista?

Download and install the Notebook System Software for the 1521 with Vista. Restart.

Download and install the Sigmatel R171788 audio driver for the 1521 with Vista.

8 Posts

August 20th, 2012 21:00

this will work? no viruses???

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 21st, 2012 05:00

Sorry for the delay in answering. You and I might be in different parts of the world. I went to bed after my last post, and I just got up.

no viruses???

Those links are to files on the official Inspiron 1521 drivers & downloads page on the Dell site. I cannot give you a direct link to the 1521 drivers & downloads page but I can give you directions to get to it. First go to the DriversHome/NeedProductSelection page.

Then you can enter your Service Tag number in the left field

-- OR --

In the right column select "Choose from a list of all Dell products", then click "Continue".

On the next page select your product type, which is "Laptops".

On the next page select your model line, which is  "Inspiron".

On the next page select your model name, which is "Inspiron 1521".

On the next page select your operating system in the drop down box. The default is "XP" so you have to change it to "Vista 32-bit". Note: if you leave the page and later return by using your browser's Back button, you have to re-select "Vista". Your selection will not be saved and it will revert to "XP" each time you leave and later return.

Next, expand the different categories to see the available drivers and applications. For example the Creative Labs Webcam Manager program is in the Applications category. (Install that software if you have not already done so.)

To get to a driver's specific page, click on the name  of the driver, which is a link, and not on "Download". When you click on the name you will go to the driver's own page where you can find information about the driver. Remember that if you use your browser's Back button to return to the 1521 drivers & downloads page, you must re-select "Vista" in the dropdown box.

8 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 19:00

"Download and install the Notebook System Software for the 1521 with Vista. Restart.

Download and install the Sigmatel R171788 audio driver for the 1521 with Vista"

i did thisand downloaded the files but my mic still doesnt work. sorry if im being trouble. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 23rd, 2012 21:00

i did thisand downloaded the files but my mic still doesnt work. sorry if im being trouble. 

No trouble but what else did you do? Did you download Creative Labs Webcam Manager program?

Are you trying to get the internal mic working?

What exactly do you see now on the Recording tab of the Sound properties?

Does it now say "Sigmatel High Definition Audio Codec" on any tab in the Sound properties? if so then the Sigmatel audio driver is installed.

If you do not see an option to select mic array or external mic, they could be disabled, in which case

1. Go to Start>Control Panel>Sound>Recording tab
       or Start>Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Manage Audio Devices>Recording tab

2. Right click in blank area of the Recording tab

3. Select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices" and look for them there.

8 Posts

August 24th, 2012 16:00

It doesnt show anything that says sigmatel also it does show microphone array. i am trying to get my internal mic to work.

show disabled devices is selected also.  

when i go to sound then recording as you showed me above. it shows microphone and under it says working

there is also something under it instead of showing microphone array like yours does above mine says "line in".

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 24th, 2012 19:00

I'm sorry you are having this trouble. The Sigmatel audio driver is not installed so try installing that again and download and install the Creative Labs Webcam Manager program.

No Events found!