Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2013 18:00

LF Opinions - Upgrading wireless network card

Hello Dell community!

I'm a student living with my parents and I'm using the Inspiron 17r SE. Recently a new router was installed in our network which provides this throughputs: 2,4 GHz - 300 Mbps / 5 GHz - 450 Mbps. Unfortunately I experience signal drops on 2.4 GHz sometimes what might be the result of too many  wireless devices (headset, mouse, keyboard, phone...). So I decided to upgrade my network card to use the 5 GHz frequency (and to be the only one using it... ;D).

After a quick research I found these two cards:

Solution 1 - Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300

Pros: Dual-Band 3x3 (max. 450 Mbps)

Cons: Requires a 3rd antenna - Possible?

Solution 2 - Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Pros: Ready for future standards (802.11ac - 867 Mbps)

Cons: Just bought a non-ac router. Only 2x2 so still 300 Mbps. Standards / Laptop in 5 years?

I would like to go for solution 1, but the missing antenna is a case I couldn't find any details for Dell devices. Furthermore I'm curious if the signal quality and range increase when received by 3 antennas.

If there is no chance of istalling a 3rd one I will take solution 2, except there is a reason to wait some more time.

Opinions and instructions are welcome! ^^

Regards

Miguel

1.5K Posts

October 18th, 2013 00:00

Hi Miguel,

Dell has tested the following wireless cards with the system:

• DW1703 WiFi/Bluetooth 4.0 combo card
  • DW1704 WiFi/Bluetooth 4.0 combo card
  • DW1901 WiFi/Bluetooth 4.0 combo card
  • Intel® 2230 WiFi/Bluetooth 4.0 combo card
  • Intel® 6150 WiFi/WiMAX combo card (US only)

Dell wireless 1901 is the only dual band card tested with the system. There is no option for a third antenna cable for the wireless card on the system.

For Service Manual, you may refer to the link: http://bit.ly/1087YJ2.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for any further assistance.

6 Posts

October 24th, 2013 07:00

Well, it's not a problem. In the meantime I came to a much simpler solution. Although I actually need a stable connection I've never thought about using a wired connection via power LAN. The only downer is the fast ethernet plug on my laptop.

But 100 Mbps is still enough to use the ISP's full potential since the cable modem is capped at 100 Mbps, too. And why should I need giga ethernet when I use the local network all alone? :)

Thank you for spending your time, Amogh G.

Best regards

Miguel

6 Posts

October 18th, 2013 03:00

Hi Amogh G,

Not tested doesn't mean they're not working on my system, right? It's the same interface so they should...

I already thought there is no "official" way to add this antenna... hmm.

1.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 05:00

Hi Miguel,

‘Not tested’ does not mean that it will not work with the system at all. It may or may not work.  You may try to install any other wireless card. There is no way to add an extra antenna cable for the wireless.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further questions.

No Events found!