Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2016 08:00

Laptop Does not Switch On

Good Day

My Dell Inspiron 3521 many times does not switch on. When I press the power button the charger light blinks everytime the power button is pressed and around the center of the keyboard there is a tick noise everytime the power button is pressed but the laptop wont come on. I even tried holding the power button for 30 seconds, sometimes longer and still nothing. Even when its on and I put the laptop to sleep, it shuts down completely, and doesn't on thereafter. I can only charge my laptop while its switched on. If while charging I shut down, the laptop switches off completely and doesn't charge, the charge light doesn't remain on. There are no beep noises and the laptop does switch on at times and functions normally, but 90% of the time it doesn't switch on. Please Assist

Thank you

2K Posts

May 22nd, 2016 01:00

Hi IMIR,

When did the issue start? Are there any bluescreens / system crashes? Does the system overheat? Are you using the original Dell power adapter for the machine? When the adapter is connected to the system, does the led on the adapter stay stable or does it flash? 

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1ORB4Ya and reinstall the chipset and video drivers from the support site.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. Also, run the extended tests on the memory and HDD.

If the system is under warranty, write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details.

3 Posts

May 24th, 2016 10:00

Hi Rishi

Thank you for your reply

This problem started about 5 months ago, but the laptop should switch on at the start but now lately it doesn't switch on at all.

There are no blue screens/ system crashes.

The system does not overheat.

Yes I am using the original Dell power adapter that came with the machine.

The adapter green light remains stable when connected.

I updated the BIOS as well as reinstalling the chip-set and video drivers. The laptop still does not switch on.

I performed a diagnostic and all tests have passed even ran the extended tests. There was no errors encountered

My systems warranty has expired about 6 months ago. However during the warranty period my motherboard was replaced due to the screen not switching on. Will I get a warranty on the new motherboard installed?

If I want to switch on the laptop I have to continuously press the power button until it switches on. Sometimes it takes a minute other times it wont switch on at all. The machine when on, functions normally.

Thank you and i really appreciate the assistance

Regards

Imir

2K Posts

May 26th, 2016 03:00

Hi IMIR,

Thank you for the update.

The replacement part will carry 90 days warranty or the system warranty, whichever is longer. Post which, it will be paid service call.

Try reseating the power button module - download the service manual - http://dell.to/1ARFG9D - see page 31.

Also, reseat the memory modules and try each module at a time.

If the issue is still unresolved, then I would isolate the source of the issue to be the power button module and then the motherboard.

Keep us updated.

3 Posts

June 5th, 2016 09:00

Hi

Thank you for your reply

I have done what you said and reset everything. It still does not switch on. I opened up the laptop and noticed that the ticking sound that is made every time i press the power button is coming from the processor (or around there). Does this mean anything?

I don'think there is any other solution other than replacing the motherboard or buying a new laptop.

Thank you so much for the assistance. I really appreciate it. if you are able to diagnose the problem and provide a solution in future please do let me know.

Thank you once again

Regards

Imir

2K Posts

June 5th, 2016 10:00

Hi Imir,

Thank you for the update. 

Well, based on your description, I would suspect the power button module and the motherboard.

As there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Personally, I would suggest you to invest your money on a new machine, as you would need to first pay for the parts to be replaced on this machine and then choose to further buy a warranty extension if applicable.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!