Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2010 16:00

Laptop Freezes on Boot if Mouse is Plugged In

I have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop, Windows 7, 64-bit, Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical USB, Bios version A12, and the trackpad set to disable itself when an external mouse is plugged in.  When I attempt to boot the computer with the mouse plugged in, roughly two thirds of the time it will freeze up on the screen that says Dell and has a meter running the bottom of the screen before "starting Windows" appears.  I have the most recent drivers for the mouse installed, and have tried plugging the mouse in different USB ports.

Another issue that may be related, is when my laptop boots up, the trackpad is disabled as it should be when a mouse is plugged in (after I plug the mouse in following boot up).  But sooner or later it makes that "bleep-bloop" sound as if a new device is being plugged in or removed and pops up a balloon in the lower right corner with some kind of message about the trackpad (I'll try and write it down next time it happens), and from that point forward the trackpad works even with a mouse plugged in... which is annoying when my hand accidentally brushes it while typing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  THANKS!

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

December 18th, 2010 22:00

It sounds like you have the wrong driver.

You can stop the accidental inputs by installing TouchFreeze, which will shut off the pad when you start typing.

3 Posts

December 19th, 2010 14:00

Thanks for the suggestion -- I appreciate the help!

I have the latest driver installed (IntelliPoint 8.0).  I removed it and reinstalled again to be safe, and it still freezes on boot up.

And if it is any help in diagnosing this, when the laptop makes the  "bleep-bloop" sound that pops up a box in the corner and reactivates the trackpad, the message is "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED".  I have also removed this mouse and tried another, and found no change.  It still freezes on boot up if the mouse is plugged in.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

December 19th, 2010 15:00

The only time I have seen this happen is when booting from a repair disk that did not have a mouse driver. 

I would do a Dell Diagnostics to make sure all the hardware is OK.

Does this happen if any other hardware (printer, etc. is attached instead of a mouse?

You could uninstall the pad driver and then reboot to allow Windows install it's pad driver.

You could run SFC /scannow in a command box using administrative privileges.

You could also do a Repair Install.

This is one of those problems that may require a lot of work to solve. You should search the web for other answers; I fiund lots, but not exactly yours.

3 Posts

December 19th, 2010 16:00

Now that you mention it, and I can't believe I forgot this, but I used to sync my iPod through this laptop, and it did the same thing.  It wouldn't boot if the iPod was plugged in.

Thanks for your suggestions!  I'm going to try Dell Diagnostics and your other suggestions now.

No Events found!