Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2017 00:00

Laptop automatically turn on when closing lid

I have a dell precision M3800 laptop. Recently I am having one issue. Issue is when i shutdown my laptop it gets shutdown completely (no problem here). But when i try to close the lid it gets turn on automatically. I am not sure if this is a hardware or software related issue.

I have windows 10 operating system and had recently windows updated.

Please help!!

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

March 29th, 2017 06:00

To prevent this from happening follow the below steps:

1.Click Start button, click Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click Power Options.

2.On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings for the plan that you want to change.

3.On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.

4.On the Advance settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow Hybrid Sleep, and choose OFF.

5.On the Advanced settings tab, expand Sleep, expand Allow wake timers, choose Disable for both when your computer is running on battery and when it's plugged in, and then click OK.

6.On the Advanced settings tab, expand USB settings, under USB settings expand USB selective suspend settings, choose Disable.

7.Select Apply and then OK to save the changes.

March 30th, 2017 01:00

Thank you very much for your reply. I followed your instruction as mentioned. However this issue still exist. I am now really confuse if this is a software related issue or hardware.

:(

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

April 3rd, 2017 10:00

In your post, you mentioned that you recently updated Windows 10. Did you have this issue prior to the update?  Have you tried uninstalling the update?  If the issue still persists, then a complete OS re-install may be needed.

May 7th, 2017 00:00

Hi

I found what my issue was and why my laptop was turning on when I closed my lib. The problem was hardware related. I opened the casing of my laptop and found that one wire was out of its allocated position.

In fact, that wire was just on top of the power panel. so, whenever i was trying to close the lib somehow the wire pressed the power panel and my laptop turned on. I re positioned that wire to its correct place and the problem is gone.

No Events found!