Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2016 08:00

Laptop freezing Dell Inspiron 3537

Recently I am getting problem with my laptop. I thought the problem was with Windows OS so made fresh install. The problem occurs both on windows 7 and Windows 10 OS. After few minutes of booting, laptop freezes. It runs for about 5 to 30 minutes and suddenly freezes and mouse and keyboard becomes unresponsive. I have not overclocked or made some unusual changes in hardware. I have ran chkdsk and there is no disk error. 

However the problem does not occur in Linux Mint partition. It can run perfectly all day on Linux Mint. Please help me to diagonize and solve the problem.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2016 09:00

So you notice the problem in Windows 7 and 10 but not in Linux, is this correct?  I take it that in Linux the notebook runs fine?  Have you always noticed the problem, and if not when did it start? Was any changes made to the system prior to when the problem started? 

What was the original operating system that the notebook shipped in? Did you notice the problem before any of the other operating systems were installed? Are you dual booting the system or have only tried one OS at a time?

Were any changes made to the BIOS while either reinstalling an OS, or in troubleshooting the hangs and if so what where they?  Have you tried updating the BIOS, the latest version A08 may be downloaded here

If the system is working alright in Linux it doesn't sound like a hardware problem. There are no issues that I am aware of that will cause this type of behavior  for the 3537 at least out of the ordinary. So to solve the problem it is likely going to take narrowing down when the problem started and what was changed on the system when the problem started to occur. 

TB

10 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 11:00

So you notice the problem in Windows 7 and 10 but not in Linux, is this correct?  I take it that in Linux the notebook runs fine?  Have you always noticed the problem, and if not when did it start? Was any changes made to the system prior to when the problem started? 

It started a week ago. It was less frequent at first and now its more frequent. Recently I changed my WiFi adapter, swapped from another old Inspiron laptop. The original laptop had rt3290 WiFi card, and I swapped it with Broadcom card. But card is working fine on All OS. Beside that I have not made any changes to the system.

What was the original operating system that the notebook shipped in? Did you notice the problem before any of the other operating systems were installed? Are you dual booting the system or have only tried one OS at a time?

The laptop came with Ubuntu. I installed Windows because WiFi stopped working after I upgraded ubuntu. The driver problem for rt3290 was never solved in ubuntu. 

I have Dual Booting (3 OS, Windows 10, 7 and Linux). Because I need certain programs to run in those OS which would not specifically run on other OS. Also linux was my backup OS for these type of problems.

Were any changes made to the BIOS while either reinstalling an OS, or in troubleshooting the hangs and if so what where they?  Have you tried updating the BIOS, the latest version A08 may be downloaded here

I have not made any changes in BIOS recently. The bios is of latest version.

10 Posts

June 4th, 2016 19:00

New WiFi card was culprit here. I disabled WiFi and used Ethernet problem didnot occur for yesterday. Today I enabled WiFi then laptop froze in just 5 minutes of using WiFi. I will start seperate thread for WiFi problem. Thanks for helping out.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 6th, 2016 08:00

Thank you for the update. 

TB

No Events found!