Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2016 20:00

Laptop not using external mic.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5547, which has only one audio jack which is supposed to be for a headset (headphones with built in mic), my situation right now is that I have headphones and an external stand up microphone. I have gotten an adapter which combines both headphones and microphone into one plug. The laptop detects that I am using headphones and all the sound goes through the headphones, but doesn't use the microphone and instead uses the built in microphone that comes with the laptop.

I couldnt find a solution on the internet so now I'm here making a post about it.

I would appreciate and type of help with this.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 23rd, 2016 06:00

When Dell first started using the combo jacks we got reports from people who had good luck with the splitters, but over time I think the majority of the reports have been about failures with them. I don't know for sure why they don't work, but my theory is that they interfere with the jack detection mechanism. The jacks detect impedance and the splitters might be throwing that off. Or there could be a different problem with them.

I would try a usb jack like this:

No Events found!