Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2013 07:00

Latitude 6430u high CPU after sleep (high fan, battery drain)

I have a 6430u that has a clean Windows 7 x64 reinstall performed (not using Dell image).  I have reinstalled all the drivers available from the support page at Dell.com.

Whenever the machine resumes from sleep, the CPU gets pinned at 18% usage constantly.  This can be seen using the Sysinternals Process Explorer, which indicates this is from the "Interrupts" process.  "Interrupts" is a pseudo-process which indicates activity within one of the drivers.  LatencyMon shows either ACPI.sys or tcpip.sys as the biggest problems, with ACPI.sys consuming a huge number of ISRs.

The issue goes away if I reboot, but comes back after a sleep/wake cycle.

This is most likely a driver issue, and it will cause CPU heat, which in turn will run the fan constantly and also kill the battery life.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

750 Posts

June 24th, 2013 09:00

Hi brian01,

May I know the version of BIOS in the system? Did you ever notice this issue before reinstalling windows?

Also, does the laptop tend to overheat? If it does, you may try steps in the following link to troubleshoot: http://dell.to/16dOvFl

14 Posts

June 24th, 2013 10:00

The BIOS is the most recent release, A04.  Our process is to receive laptops and reinstall them with a clean image, so I cannot say whether it happened before the reinstall.

The laptop does not overheat, but the fan does run more often, indicating that additional heat is being generated.  The main problem is increased battery drain due to constant CPU load and additional noise caused by an always-running fan.

750 Posts

June 25th, 2013 04:00

Hi brian01,

As you have rightly pointed out in your first post, fans will run often if CPU is running constantly at higher temperature.

Once the computer is back from sleep, open task manager and kill the processes that are hogging up the CPU. After that, please check and let me know if the fans slow down.

14 Posts

June 25th, 2013 07:00

The process "Interrupts" is not a real process and only represents the activity of hardware or software interrupts which take place within the system.  These are caused by drivers.  Because of this, it cannot be killed.

The problem is that some hardware or drivers are not resuming correctly from the sleep state.  This can most likely be fixed in a driver update, but Dell must investigate and release such an update.

750 Posts

June 27th, 2013 11:00

Hi brian01,

I would like to know the sequence in which you have installed the drivers after reinstalling Windows 7.

Ideally the drivers have to be installed in correct order for the system to work properly. Please refer the following link for more information: http://dell.to/Ynnsnr

14 Posts

June 27th, 2013 15:00

I really can't say as this was done many months ago.  I generally install chipset drivers first, then video, then everything else.

Going through the Windows log, sorted by date, I can see these in this order:

- Intel Network Connections

- Dell System Detect

- O2Micro flash memory card driver

- Intel rapid storage tech

- Dell client system update

- Windows driver package - Dell Inc PBADRV System

- Dell data protection access

- Dell webcam control

- o2micro oz776 scr driver

- Dell feature enhancement pack

I have tried to reinstall drivers, which has had no effect on this issue.

750 Posts

June 28th, 2013 08:00

Hi brian01,

Since the issue appears to have started after the operating system reinstallation, would suggest you to reinstall the operating system again. Please backup data before attempting this. Refer the following link for detailed instructions to reinstall Windows 7: http://dell.to/10iuVJe

After installing Windows 7, please follow the correct order as mentioned in the article from previous post to install the drivers.

Please post the results.

14 Posts

June 28th, 2013 13:00

I had a feeling this was going to be used as a shield/excuse for Dell not addressing the problem further.  Have you contacted the 6430u team internally and they feel that this really is the best course of action?

750 Posts

June 30th, 2013 11:00

Hi brian01,

I have researched about the issue and have suggested the available solution.

Request you to reinstall the operating system.

2 Posts

August 7th, 2013 15:00

Although this topic has been silent for 5 weeks or so, I must report I have exactly the same issue. And I have had this issue with the Dell Pre-Installed image, a new WIndows 7 installation and the Dell Corporate Image (I am a Dell employee).

Thanks,

Erwin

#iworkfordell

2 Posts

August 7th, 2013 15:00

BTW: I am now running BIOS A05.

Also, after about an hour after waking from sleep, the CPU load finally dropped to normal levels and then right after the fans quited.

January 23rd, 2014 11:00

Hi there,

i have a Latitude 6530 with the same issue. It happend either with the stock configuration and also with the latest drivers. BIOS is A13.

Regards

Joachim Ausd

2 Posts

July 13th, 2014 20:00

The same issue here with Latitude E6430 with Windows 7 SP1 installed and with all the updates from Dell till July 2014. So Dell still has not resolved the driver issue.

14 Posts

July 14th, 2014 07:00

As the original poster, I wanted to provide an update.  I did not reinstall the operating system but at some point this issue seems to have gone away.  I don't put the laptop to sleep that often, but I have not seen it anymore on the occasions that I do.

Since you are asking about a different laptop model, you should probably create a new message about your issue (don't reply to an existing one), since this kind of problem is very specific to the laptop you have.

2 Posts

July 15th, 2014 20:00

That's a common problem for similar models. Don't you think Dell write different driver for different models but with same parts?

No Events found!