jbreen23
1 Copper

RE: Latitude 7240: Recovering hard disk with self encription

Jump to solution

i need the same info how to use the usb file to get into my computer what is your twitter name?

0 Kudos
pierrad
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've also got this issue, recovery key exists (Latitude E6330 / Samsung SSD 840 EVO ).

I can login to the hard drive but can neither decrypt it nor add users (E Pba  : exception deactivating PBA - Failed to deactivate PBA. OpalSP key is null or empty).

Is there any tool to decrypt the drive?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
SSIDR13
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Justin,

I have added you as a friend with the required information.

Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
jshanker
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Good morning Justin,

I just added you as a friend and sent my Service Tag. I have a Latitude E7450. Not locked out of it, able to login at PBA and get to DDP Admin Tools, etc. I'd like to reimage the machine for a new user but all attempts to decrypt from the Admin Tools result in the message:

"WARNING!!!! Deactivation of the PBA Failed. See the log for more information."

Then in the log, I see this:

2015.08.27 10:16:16 I Comm : opening connection to "http://localhost:8888/agent"
2015.08.27 10:16:16 I Comm : new policy seq# 16 received
2015.08.27 10:16:16 I Comm : closing connection to "http://localhost:8888/agent"
2015.08.27 10:16:16 I Comm : next contact with server scheduled for 8/27/2015 10:16:16 PM
2015.08.27 10:16:18 I Pba : updating policies...
2015.08.27 10:16:22 I Pba : policy update complete
2015.08.27 10:16:22 I Pba : updating communication settings...
2015.08.27 10:16:25 I Pba : communication settings updated
2015.08.27 10:16:44 I Comm : opening connection to "http://localhost:8888/agent"
2015.08.27 10:16:45 I Comm : new policy seq# 17 received
2015.08.27 10:16:45 I Comm : closing connection to "http://localhost:8888/agent"
2015.08.27 10:16:45 I Comm : next contact with server scheduled for 8/27/2015 10:16:45 PM
2015.08.27 10:16:47 I Pba : deactivating PBA...
2015.08.27 10:16:47 E Pba : exception deactivating PBA - Failed to deactivate PBA. OpalSP key is null or empty.

Any idea how to remove the SED encryption? Thanks for any help!

-Jason

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
nj04
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same problem, caused by trying to recover from an abortive upgrade to windows 10 . Like other correspondents I have an opalSPKey.xxx.recovery.dat file but have no idea of how to apply it. 

The security tools error message is:

Failed to deactivate PBA. Opal SP Key is null or empty

I need to clear everything out so i can return to my old windows 7 config. At the moment security tools is stuck, I can deinstall it and move back to access because I can't deactivate PBA.. With the current configuration the fingerprint reader is not accessable and single sign on doesn't work

Computer is latitude E6520

0 Kudos
K4LDI
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi

I have the exact same problem as above.  Does anyone have any idea how to resolve it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
decker12
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I also have this same problem, except my Dell DDP ST pre-boot auth accepts my password, and then hangs forever with:

"Authentication Successful. Please wait...."

It'll sit there forever and never actually boot into Windows. I too have my recovery key but don't know how to actually use it. What's the fix?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Justin,

I have the same Problem with an E6440.

Maybe you can help me.

Regards,

Johannes

0 Kudos
AWost
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi

Encountering the same issue. I do not have the administrator password for Dell Data Protection Encryption so can't decrypt the hard drive on my wife's laptop. This means that I can't upgrade it to Windows 10 which is a bit of a pain!

I have a the encryption key on an external USB but struggling as I'm not sure what to do with it. Any help most appreciated.

0 Kudos
jvanessen
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same issue as mentioned by others in this thread.  I am really eager to get hold of the the Dell Windows recovery kit to create bootalbe media that contains DELL OPAL SED Recovery Utility. Dell proSupport in the Netherlands unable to deliver so I need to get this from Dell US I think.

Hello I have a harddrive that have SED and I have enabled encryption via DDP software that comes with dell. I can authenticate with my user/pass at PBA and I have also *.dat files. So only thing i need is "windows recovery kit"  that was detailed at 

How to create the recovery media for DDP | E Security Tools Self-Encrypting Drive | Dell US

www.dell.com
When Pre-Boot Authentication (PBA) is provisioned and the user’s credentials are accepted in the PBA, the system goes to a screen stating "Parity Error". The system must be recovered using a SED recovery kit, obtained from support and by removing the PBA using the [.dat] file that was...

to create bootalbe media that contains DELL OPAL SED Recovery Utility. proSupport in the Netherlands unable to deliver so I need to download this.

can someone help please.

0 Kudos