Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 21st, 2013 15:00

Latitude D820 not booting

Hi

I have a Latitude D820 that is not booting.  When the power button is pressed, the power led comes on and the disk led flashes briefly, but then the bluetooth led flashes and the 3 keyboard leds are ON, Flashing, Flashing for about 30 seconds before it powers off.

It was working normally, suspended then won't start.  

Help please!

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 21st, 2013 16:00

Hi aydun,

On-Flash-Flash behavior of the lock LED lights indicates a possible memory or memory slot failure. To isolate the issue I suggest you to reseat the memory in the system and then check if the system is powering on. If it is not switching on try to switch on the system with only one memory in it at a time.

Please refer this link to reseat the memory: http://bit.ly/19kpn0m

Please post the results.

3 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 02:00

Hi Nikhil

Thanks for that - I have reseated the memory and that resolves part of the problem in that the lock LED's behave normally.  They flash once on power up and then remain off but it does not boot.

When the power button is pressed, the power led comes on, the hard disk led flashes briefly and you can hear the dvd drive wake up (seems normal up to here) but then the bluetooth led flashes continuously and nothing further happens.  Nothing is displayed on the screen at any time.

thanks!

aydun

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 16:00

Hi aydun,

I suggest you to run LCD BIST to check the functionality of the LCD screen.

• Run the LCD Built-In Self-Test (BIST).
  • Test the LCD in the System Setup (BIOS).
  • Connect an External monitor (if available) to the system and check the display on the external monitor.

Please post the results.

3 Posts

November 25th, 2013 03:00

Ni Nikhil

I tried to run the LCD test but holding "D" while powering on does not make any difference.  At no point is anything displayed on the monitor, from bios or anything else.  I've also tried an external monitor but nothing is displayed there.

When I press the power button, the bluetooth led starts to flash immediately and there is brief activity from the hard drive and DVD drive.  The bluetooth led continues to flash for about 45 seconds.  After that the only indication of life is the power light.  There are no beeps.

When the laptop was last running successfully, I think it might have been hibernated and looks a bit like being stuck in permanent hibernation.  I tried removing the harddisk but the results are the same.

thanks

aydun

No Events found!