Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 10th, 2010 19:00

Latitude D830 won't turn on

I own a Dell Latitude D830 laptop. Recently, I shut it down normally and came back to find that it wouldn't turn on. When I press the power button, the little power light indicates that is on, but nothing is happening. The display is black, and there is no signal going through the VGA port to an external monitor. It does the same thing if it is plugged in or running on battery. It is dual-boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.10 (although this has been working for a long time, so it probably isn't the problem). I don't think anything happened to it between when it was shut down and when I tried to turn it on and it didn't work. Please help me fix this as I use this laptop daily and I don't think I can last very long without it.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 10th, 2010 19:00

If the system is running but there is no video, and you've an nVidia video chip, it's probably the video chip failed - that is common with these.  Dell has a 1-year warranty extension on them to cover nVidia's faulty engineering - they should replace the mainboard under warranty.

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

7 Posts

February 11th, 2010 03:00

Please check out my post "Latitude D600 Cannot Turn On" and see if that matches your scenario.

41 Posts

February 11th, 2010 09:00

@ejn63: I don't really think the video card is the problem because after the power light goes on, nothing else happens - the hard disk is silent and it isn't booting into an operating system (it isn't just the display).

@th_cheung: I looked at the post, but it doesn't really look like that is the problem because the power button is part of the keyboard on a D830 (http://tinyurl.com/Latitude-D830-keyboard) and the computer is turning on (the little LED lights up) but it isn't doing anything.

I guess this is a problem with the motherboard :emotion-6:

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Reseat the memory modules (remove and reinstall).  Remove the battery and AC adapter - hold the power button for 30 seconds.  Then attach the power adapter.  If it won't power up then, the mainboard is faulty.

41 Posts

Also, I just noticed that if I plug in the power cable, the little battery LED goes on to indicate that it is charging. I don't know if this means anything, but it may be helpful to find the problem.

41 Posts

February 11th, 2010 14:00

Reseat the memory modules (remove and reinstall).  Remove the battery and AC adapter - hold the power button for 30 seconds.  Then attach the power adapter.  If it won't power up then, the mainboard is faulty.

I tried this, and it still didn't work. I guess this means I need a new mainboard. Do I need to take the laptop to someone to get it replaced, or can I replace this myself?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 11th, 2010 14:00

The part (integrated  video - I would NOT recommend one with the faulty nVidia chip on it):

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=4357

Replacement instructions:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd830/en/SM_EN/sysboard.htm#wp1084976

41 Posts

February 11th, 2010 16:00

Thanks for the replies. I will try ordering a new motherboard and installing it.

Also, will this have any side-effects such as driver errors and stuff like that?

1 Message

October 12th, 2010 13:00

I had the same problem on 2 laptops. Power looks On, but nothing is happening.

Both times reseting memory modules fixed the problem. One memory slot is on the bottom of the laptop under the cover, the other one is under the keyboard. It's usualy the one under the keyboard, but reset both. Look up the  procedure how to replace memory (or keyboard). While you have the laptop open, make sure all other connections are pluged in correctly to the motheboard too.

Good luck,

Kat

7 Posts

March 9th, 2016 09:00

OLD POST which I   encountering. My problem turned out to be the battery charger!!!!

No Events found!