Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 13th, 2012 06:00

Latitude E5430 - Problems with fan control

Hi, I just bought a Latitude E5430 expecting to get some Dell Business notebook Quality. I am using Windows 8 x64 (in UEFI-mode) with BIOS A09 and the latest Drivers available from dell.com.

The issue that I am encountering is that as soon as the fan turns on, it does not turn off for a long time (blowing out cool air), even though there is no high system load (just Internet Explorer opened) and the temperature is below 50C.

Basically, the fan starts at some temperature threshold, cools down the CPU to 38-40C, and even though the running fan does not cause the CPU to cool down more, it keeps running for a long time (10 minutes and counting) (while the CPU temperature constantly stays at 38-40C). :-(

Please forward this issue to the BIOS development department so that they can provide an update which improves fan control.

Everyone also having this issue, please have a look at this post from Dell-Terry B:

http:/en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19480918.aspx?PageIndex=3#20294684

where he is requesting more information from users affected.

25 Posts

March 3rd, 2013 05:00

@ pirast_ :

Same problem (fan runs without ending when notebook ist connected to the mains) here with my E6430! (BIOS A02). When i pull of out the power adapter the fan stops immediately

40 Posts

March 3rd, 2013 06:00

ah, interesting, some people planned to buy a E6430 instead because they thought it would not have those issues (see page 2/3)

looking at the last pages of forum.notebookreview.com/.../670507-e6430-owners-thread-21.html it seems as if the E6430 also has some serious issues with fan control.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 5th, 2013 14:00

Engineering is watching this thread, and are aware of all of your concerns. They are researching options in the BIOS for fan control. Their main concern is that the system is kept cool enough and there is no danger in overheating foremost, after that they are looking into taking steps that the system is quiet as possible.  I still have no ETA of any possible BIOS updates but will message here as soon as I find out more information.  

I thank you all for your patience.

TB

10 Posts

March 20th, 2013 17:00

It's been another 2 weeks of annoying fan noise - no news?

7 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 07:00

What makes me really skeptical about a possible solution is my impression, that the problem has nothing to do with temperature at all. Your Engineering seems to be on the wrong track.

After 20 Minutes running office applications the fan kicks on. When I press fn my ears can recover for another 20 minutes, regardless of the temperature, which hardly changes. The same happens when restarting the notebook. It takes again 20 minutes to start the fan, regardless of the temperature, which is still low. And the fan never stops by itself, which is still very annoying, especially when working with a docking station, as I do.

40 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 08:00

This is what I think, too... Let's see what the next BIOS update does - sometimes miracles happen.

10 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 00:00

And another two weeks. The problem is on for over 3 months. Terry, nothing can be done?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 08:00

Engineering is working on a new bios update that should reduce the amount of time that the cooling fan runs and keep the system safe from overheating.  I don't have an ETA but I expect it to be released either in April or May. 

I have received further news from engineering.  They tell me the BIOS rev that will help with fan control will be due in the end of June.

TB

2 Posts

April 4th, 2013 17:00

Has anyone tried playing with the client configuration tool? I just came across it and noticed these options. Not sure what it actually lets you do though.

16 Posts

April 5th, 2013 02:00

@Atomjax, I checked the CCTK but if you move mouse over description column and read the ToolTip that will popup then you'll see this will not fix our problem as it mainly set the speed of FAN, not the time it start/stop.

2 Posts

April 8th, 2013 17:00

When I first got my laptop I used it for a week and I am pretty sure this problem wasn't happening. I think it only started happening after I updated the bios. Is it possible to go back to an older bios version?

10 Posts

April 11th, 2013 02:00

There is a new BIOS version: A10 (www.dell.com/.../latitude-e5430).

Changelog:

1. Updated BIOS UEFI GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) driver.

2. Improved the format of help messages in One-time Boot Menu.

3. Enhanced TPM control for CCTK/OMCI application.

4. Improved PXE boot screen.

5. Enhanced Blue Tooth control function.

6. Enhanced HDD Remote Wipe feature.

7. Improved HDD password functionality.

Fan spins as it did earlier. No change.

25 Posts

April 11th, 2013 13:00

Go on Dell! It's so annoying to have the fan permanent on. That's NO business class!

40 Posts

April 11th, 2013 13:00

lets hope that this is not the promised bios update..

Terry, can you tell us if the released A10 update is the update that is supposed to fix the issue?

1 Message

April 14th, 2013 15:00

Hello

Same problem for me

I amm owner of a Dell E6430since the end of last year

Service TAG Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Fan is active without stopping even during word or excel works, or just during internet navigation.

Just cool air pushed out by the fan, no sign of heat when touching the computer.

Fan doesn't stop.

Annoying problem when working in quiet environment.

I bought a SSD drive to have a quiet machine.

My Dell D6430 is much noisier than my Dell D630.

Thanks

No Events found!