Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

8 Posts

October 4th, 2008 01:00

M1530 randomly shuts down

I have posted this on a few other forums and still no help. All dell has been able to do is confirm that it doesnt seem to be a hardware issue.

In the middle of playing games particular ones I have tried are WoW and CoH.  But randomly the laptop will just power down.  I thought it was a heat issue because the program I was using to check HWmonitor was registering 96-99 C but after installing Speedfan the temps bareyl show that they are breaking 80C.  I don;t feel it is heat related anymore because of the different temps.

Keep in mind there are no errors, it just will shutoff and allow me to power back up with no problem.  The only consistancy I have found with it is it heppening while gaming.  I have not been able to replicate it doing anything else.

8 Posts

October 4th, 2008 02:00

I should have been more specific on the temps.  All the temp issues have been with the CPU an dnot the GPU it stays cool and stable around 80 degrees at the highest.  So i doubt it is the faulty nVidia GPU issue.

I have also tried disabling all startup services but the problem still seems to be present, I may ave missed a few so I will try again.  Its just so random it is hard to pindown.

Welcome to the Forum :smileyhappy:

Have you heard...about the problem with NVIDIA chips?

You're pushing the envelope and I wouldn't be surprised the chip is failing.

Run a diagnostic and call Dell.

Article:

http://apcmag.com/nvidia_disaster_thousands_of_gpus_faulty.htm

Article:

http://www.itexaminer.com/nvidia-dell-hp-sued-over-defective-chips.aspx

Warranty upgrade info:

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

Good Luck

10 Posts

Hi,

Try going to msconfig and disabling the startup programs except for your firewall and anti virus softwares then restart the system. If your system doesnt shutsdown after the changes then one or more of the programs is causing it.This is how you do it..start..type in msconfig in run..click on startup and disable.. hope this helps!!!

12 Posts

October 4th, 2008 23:00

just a stupid question: how do you measure GPU temperature? I just received my xps and with all this nvidia gpu-faulty-discussions i'm curious about the temps in my pc.

4.6K Posts

October 5th, 2008 12:00

Use GPU-Z (GPU specific) or HWMonitor (ACPI, CPU + GPU) ;)

1 Message

October 12th, 2008 06:00

I have been having the same problem.  My computer is shutting down because the temp is getting too high (80-100 degrees Celsius).  I called Dell and went through some troubleshooting with them.  A technician is supposed to call me and discuss what parts need to be replaced.  There have been problems with the Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT video card. 
No Events found!