Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 28th, 2014 06:00

M3800 Power On Sometimes Works

Shouldn't I be able to simply press and release the power button to power on the laptop for a cold boot? I'm not sure if I'm powering on my M3800 properly or if it's a problem. All scenarios are after the laptop had been completely shut down and powered cable attached. (1) Just pressing and releasing the power key powers it up sometimes (2) When 1 doesn't work, sometimes pressing and holding the power key (for ? secs) will power it up (3) When neither 1 nor 2 will work, sometimes double-pressing the power key will power it up The times it doesn't power up, the power button lights, keyboard lights and goes off, then power light goes off. It eventually always powers up (so far) but would like to make sure it's not a hardware problem. W7 64, OS on 256SSD New Unmodified Automatic Updates

April 27th, 2015 06:00

If you are still within your warranty period, and you can successfully get through the support desk, they should send a technician to your home or business to replace the motherboard.  That's what happened for me. Good luck.

32 Posts

October 1st, 2015 10:00

Found the solution

After many hours of troubleshooting by Dell technicians, they determined that the cause is that the first batch of M3800 shipped with a faulty motherboard issue.

I received a replacement unit with a newer motherboard model and the issue is completely gone. My HD4600 and Nvidia K1100M drivers are up to date (2015) and my replacement laptop works perfectly!

Check your warranty and if you are still eligible, please talk to them about sending you an exchange unit.

But DO NOT ACCEPT a same unit replacement, they need to be super/extra/sure that the unit is indeed a newer motherboard model.

Here's what my original motherboard model wasYR6VT - ASSEMBLY, BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP), NOTEBOOK, I7-4712, DUAL, M3800

Here's what my replaced motherboard model is5VGH8 - ASSEMBLY, BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP), NOTEBOOK, I74712, DUAL, M3800TB

*** That's the only difference I found under support.dell.com, by entering the Service Tag Numbers, then System Configuration -> Components

1 Message

June 18th, 2014 15:00

I have the exact same problem with my M3800 as well.  The power up down sequence with the power key is somewhat unpredictable.  About a third of the time I end up with the "Windows did not shut down normally" and end up doing a re-boot.  Great machine but this is a very annoying problem.

December 24th, 2014 07:00

Update:  My problem morphed into something else this Monday.  Probably as much as 95% of the time, when I pressed the power button the keys were back lit and the power button lit, but the screen did nothing.  Dell support was out in 2 days and replaced the motherboard.  So far it's 100% booting up now.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2015 10:00

I am also experiencing issues.  Started late December.  After some testing I realized that it is related to the sleep/hibernate function.  If I power down using "Shutdown" Windows then I can reboot it fine.  if I close the lid, or use the "Sleep" mode then the power does not come back upon reopening the lid, or pressing the power button like you would normally.  I have to actually hold down the power button for at least 10 seconds, then release and press it again and then the keyboard lights up and it comes back to life, but not without the message "Windows did not shutdown properly".

I really like this laptop and had performance similar to my MacBook Air up until this started happening.  Any advice on things to check or try?

511 Posts

January 13th, 2015 17:00

If you are experiencing hibernate issues, check support.dell.com for a BIOS update. BIOS updates usually fix things such as hibernate issues. Hope this helps!

-Brandon

5 Posts

January 14th, 2015 05:00

Thanks for your input balong48.  I downloaded the BIOS version on the Dell site (which seemed to be an older version than factory installed) but still no luck in fixing the problem.  I have searched online but there doesn't seem to be any/many posts about this issue.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Andrew

511 Posts

January 14th, 2015 06:00

If your laptop is under warranty, I would contact Dell to get the motherboard replaced. According to the post above, it fixed his issues. If it is not under warranty, see if you can find a motherboard online to replace yours.

-Brandon

5 Posts

January 14th, 2015 06:00

Here is a bit more information in case anyone else is having a similar problem.  The problem is not hibernate, as it seems to work as expected.  The problem is the Sleep mode.  When I select this mode, it powers down as I would expect but it does not power back up as it should.  this is when a hard reboot needs to be forced (holding down the power button for a 10 count, releasing, and then press the power button again).

I will be chasing this up officially with them now.

Cheers,

A

5 Posts

January 19th, 2015 05:00

So we went through the official support channels and it turns out that the motherboard needs to be replaced.  It is on backorder but should be in soon.

Thanks again for your help.

A

1 Message

February 26th, 2015 11:00

I would suggest going into your power options and then click into Change advanced power settings link. In there find "Sleep" and adjust those settings to what you would like. 

my settings under "sleep" are as follows:

• Sleep After - Never
  • Allow Hybrid Sleep - Off
  • Hibernate After - Never
  • Allow Wake Timers - Disabled 

Also, I would go under the "power buttons and lid" and double check those as well. 

My settings for "power buttons and lid" are as follows:

Lid Close Action, Power Button Action and Sleep Button Action are all set to "Do Nothing"

Keep in mind, these are my preferences and are set this way due to the way I use my laptop. Your use case may be different therefore these may not make sense for your needs. 

Either way, I hope this helps. I made these changes and I never ran into that issue moving forward. Just to be sure, when you power down your laptop, make sure its fully shut down before you close the lid. This is just as backup. Technology sometimes has a mind of its own lol. 

Let me know if this helps any of you out. :)

1 Message

March 23rd, 2015 12:00

My computer has the same problem. And it finally stopped running this morning.

Until yesterday I had to unplug everything to turn the computer back on, I mean, the wireless mouse USB and even the power adopter. Without unplugging those, it didnt turn on. So I did the same this morning, the power light and keyboard light was on for a couple seconds, then it died again.

I am not able to turn the coputer back on anyhow afterward.

I spent over 2K for this computer and it doesnt even power on.

Can I return this computer?

1 Message

March 30th, 2015 22:00

So has there ever been a resolution to this issue, I'm running into the same problem. 90% of the time when my computer goes to sleep it crashes. I don't think disabling sleep is a reasonable solution for an Ultrabook.

8 Posts

April 14th, 2015 19:00

Holy cr@p.  Over year ago and still not fixed. Month old M3800 and same problems. Full coin+battery removal not even enough. Started with occasional power on issues. Completely dead now.

April 27th, 2015 04:00

I have the same issue. Bought mine about a month ago, had the problem from day one. From what I read, even sending it in and having it "fixed" does not solve the problem? - Anyone had experience with that?

No Events found!