Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2014 14:00

M3800 USB problems

Hi, I have a M3800 laptop which is having USB problems. USB devices suddenly stop showing and even a reboot doesn't always fix it. The devices can't be seen by Windows Explorer but can be seen in Device Manager?? I have tried updating drivers and also uninstalling the USB 3 hub but that crashes the laptop and it sits at Shutdown for ever until I have to press and hold power button. Anyone else having this issue or an idea what it could be?? Thanks

3 Posts

August 21st, 2014 10:00

Hello All,

I received a hotfix from Dell Pro-support that fixed the USB issue on my
machine

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2895729

PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.  Back up your computer, etc.   Apparently this
is in the developmental stage and is not fully sanctioned by Dell.

4 Posts

May 19th, 2014 17:00

Hi, I’m sorry I don’t have a fix, but I am having similar issues with USB and the M3800. I am an IT guy at a small company. We only have three of these systems so far, but I have seen the problem on two of the three systems. When the system boots, sometimes no USB devices work. Rebooting the system has (temporarily) fixed the issue for us every time. I was skeptical when one of our engineers reported this, but I have seen it with my own eyes on both systems. I have not had a chance to do much troubleshooting yet because the users are too busy to give me time with their devices. The systems were started from a powered-off state (not waking up from sleep or resuming from hibernation). Both systems are running the latest BIOS (A03). I have recommended that my company stop purchasing these units until the problem is identified and fixed. 

13 Posts

May 20th, 2014 12:00

Hi Neversat, Hopefully finally fixed it. Set Power Plan to a different one, and disabled USB Selective Suspend in the Power Plan Advanced Settings. Then unticked all the Power Management options for all USB Root Hubs through Device Manager. Rebooted then changed any Power Plan options to what I wanted. Seems to have done the trick. Think it was the Power Plan corrupt or the USB Power Management settings. Taking the power management options of of each Hub, reconnected the USB device. Funny thing was, I plugged in the power supply lead and one and only one of the USB ports lost its connection? Oh well, fixed now I think

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 15:00

Many thanks for your reply, D1815!  I have disabled the USB Selective Suspend in the Advanced Power Options as first step. I'll check in with the end user in a couple days to see if this fixed the issue and report back. I really appreciate people like you who solve their own problem, then take the time to update their post to help other people out. Thank you!

1 Message

May 27th, 2014 13:00

Hello, we are also having issues with the M3800 and it looks to be something to do with the USB hub version or power settings.  The PC frequently looses touch screen function and has BSOD after having 143+ Window updates installed.  We do not see this issue on PCs that have not had windows updates.  Can you list any Win7 SP1 updates that change the USB hub versions or power setting and would cause BSOD upon shut and reboot?????  Please help!!

4 Posts

May 29th, 2014 10:00

It's been a week since I disabled USB Selective Suspend in the Advanced Power Options and this issue has not reoccurred. We are running Windows 7 64-bit.

13 Posts

June 16th, 2014 09:00

It's been ok until now...it's happened again! Will check on Power options again. One for Dell I think, can't just be us having this issue?

4 Posts

June 16th, 2014 09:00

Yeah, we are experiencing this issue again, so disabling USB Selective Suspend in the Advanced Power Option did NOT fix the issue for us and I continue to recommend against buying the M3800 until this issue is solved.

1 Message

June 16th, 2014 23:00

I am suffering from this issue as well. Hopefully Dell Tehc support could provide some solutions to it. Another interesting thing along with the malfunction of USB is the sound will be dragging when the USB does not work well. I am not sure if thses 2 things corelates

13 Posts

June 17th, 2014 04:00

Hi marshellyang, That's a few of us now. Also noticed some other net posts about the XPS15 which the M3800 is based on. Faulty power connection to USB ports maybe? Anyway, I am going to call Dell Tech Support tomorrow. I am actually an IT guy as well so it is a client laptop. Need a fix for such an expensive machine. Does Dell Tech monitor these forums?

June 24th, 2014 15:00

Hi, also an IT person.  I am having the exact same issues with the USB or I get a BSD when I shut down the box.  Messed with USB settings and that helped some.  Called Dell, they replaced the memory.  That made it worse.  Tomorrow they are going to replace the mother board.  We will see what that does.

2 Posts

June 24th, 2014 20:00

Hi have Dell precision 3800 for 2 weeks - very fast but intermittent USB problem, shut down  and mouse problem then the whole system goes down - tried 4 fixes from dell and our own IT support solutions and still the same problem is occurring intermittently , thought it was software problem but does not look like it from what we have seen  - so sorry to say beautiful machine but i am busy cardiologist and cannot survive without a dependable laptop and i have told my IT people to give up and  i am sending back the machine - so disappointed it did not work correctly as when if did work it was fantastic -good luck to you others and i hope Dell solves it for you

1 Message

June 25th, 2014 14:00

Yes I am having the exact same issue myself. Can you please update as soon as you figure out if the motherboard is the issue. I have pin-pointed it to the powered usb controller as the cause of the problem. I just can't figure out how to fix it.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2014 20:00

Please let us know if this is the fix- seems strange so many of these have been sold and not more complaints -

June 25th, 2014 20:00

They replaced the motherboard today and so far so good. The computer recognizes the external USB devices much faster. So far no BSDs. It will take several days of working on the computer before I believe it is fixed. Also, the new motherboard was running hot so they replaced the thermal paste. Now much better. How did you diagnose that it was the powered usb controller?
No Events found!