Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 27th, 2010 08:00

M4400 eSATA issues XP, VISTA, WIN 7, ATA - AHCI - IRRT

After much scouring of forums I am overwhelmed with conflicting information.

DELL support have not been forthcoming with a solution.

My M4400 running IRRT with Vista Business 32bit failed to recognise my external drive via the eSATA port. However it did recognise the same drive plugged into the shared USB port. I tired different flavours of the Intel Storage Manager to no avail.

DELL support requested an OS reinstall. That didn't work, so I tried XP Pro 32bit, but that had to be installed using ATA, I couldn't figure how to install with AHCI or IRRT.

So here I am still trying to either switch to AHCI with XP installed or try installing Windows 7 64bit in the hope of a solution.

P.S. The reseller of this device checked the eSATA hardware and said it was working normally using a different drive enclosure. I will be purchasing a new enclosure too.

Even if I solve the issue with the drive enclosure and or Windows 7, I would still like advice on having this work with XP.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

January 27th, 2010 09:00

Well, not long after the original post I found a very simple solution unlike all the verbose ones I had seen previously.

Here is my edited version of the solution.

M4400 Switch to AHCI from ATA after XP installation.

1. Download & unpack the Intel Matrix Storage Drivers. (I chose to download version 8.2 since many people have complained about 8.8)

2. Go to Device Manager select the ATA controller driver > Update Driver, then disallow all automatic methods of update, eventually you get to Advanced > Have Disk, then select IaStore.sys or IaStore.inf in my case.

3. Choose ICH9M controller.

4. Restart the computer when asked.

5. Goto BIOS during reboot.

6. Change to the SATA setting to AHCI.

7. After booting back into XP you may be prompted to reboot again, so reboot.

Done.

No Events found!