Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2014 06:00

M4800 Desktop Shrinks When Resolution Is Changed

When changing resolution to any lower setting the desktop shrinks a lot. How to fix this?

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

April 2nd, 2014 08:00

Hi Goingwireless,

Thanks for your post. Sounds like adjusting the Displays icon and font settings to a larger (medium 125% or Large 150%) could give you the desired appearance.

To change the Size of Fonts and Icons in Windows 7 :

1. Close all open programs.
  2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  3. In the Control Panel window, click Appearance and Personalization.
  4. Click Display.
  5. Click Medium- 125% for a moderate increase, or Click Larger 150% for a bigger increase in size.
  6. Click Apply to apply these settings. You will need to log off and log back on for the settings to take effect.

Check out this guide for more information and resolution settings.

Video Settings - Guide

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=267986

Let us know how it goes,

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2014 09:00

Decreasing the resolution results in fewer pixels being needed for display so the display is reduced to the size containing the required number of pixels. Windows will shrink the display and there is no fix. Some applications may detect the native display resolution and scale the app to use the full screen.

39 Posts

April 4th, 2014 03:00

My old Inspiron 9300 1440 x 900 automatically increases icon and text sizes and expands the Windows XP desktop and programs to fit the entire screen when I lower the resolution. What's the reason it does that and the M4800 doesn't?

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 4th, 2014 08:00

What video do you have on each computer? Nvidia video drivers have a selection in the video control panel to resize the screen if the size is not correct after changing the resolution. I haven't tried this on my 660 because resolution changes always rearrange the icons and it's a pain to put them all back. If all you want is to get bigger icons and text, better to stay with the native resolution of the screen and adjust sizes within windows. Changes are made on the Display section of the Windows Control Panel.

39 Posts

April 5th, 2014 12:00

Yeah I found that the scale full screen setting does the trick. Haven't found this setting in the Firepro controls (does it exist?) but the Intel graphics panel has it. Change the resolution then > graphics options > panel fit > scale full screen. The scale full screen option is hidden until after you lower the resolution. Of course this makes text fuzzy but sometimes I preferred this method on the 9300. It might look worse on the M4800, not sure yet.

No Events found!