Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2013 05:00

M6700 Precision Workstation A11 BIOS problem

The Dell Client System Update application recently displayed a recommended update for my M6700 Precision Workstation system BIOS from version A10 to A11. My M6700 is used in a docking station for the majority of the time, but the update must be performed with the workstation undocked and using the external power supply or the BIOS update simply won't begin. I went ahead and undocked, performed the update, and then rebooted the workstation while undocked with no problem. When I placed the workstation back in the docking station and powered up the workstation, the system will not boot up. While docked, I see the Ctrl-I prompt for the RAID configuration utility on the monitors, but there is no hard drive activity and the system fails to boot. I am able to boot the workstation undocked, place it into the docking station and then use it with no loss of functionality. Keep in mind this entire exercise is with the workstation using BIOS A11. I flashed it back to A10 and the system boots normally in the docking station. As a test, I reapplied A11 and the results are repeatable. Basically, my M6700 with BIOS version A11 in a docking station will not boot and I think there is a bug with this BIOS version. I contacted Dell Technical Support and initiated Support Request 886539704 to report the problem. Dell has no resolution to the problem and they recommended staying on BIOS version A10, but that isn't a very good response to the problem.

Some information about my system:

• Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • Two 466 GB hard drives (model HGST HTS725050A7E630, firmware version GH2OA500) in a RAID1 configuration with write-back cache enabled
  • 16 GB RAM
  • AMD FirePro M6000 display adapter
  • Intel Core i7-3840QM 2.8 GHz CPUs

If I've left out any pertinent information then reply to the discussion and I'll be happy to provide it.

No Responses!
No Events found!