Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2013 15:00

M6800 expansion questions

Hi,

This is gone be my first time buy ,i am a bit confused by what i see in the 'configuration' process , and what is claimed in a dell youtube video on the M6800.

The configuration step in the store shows no option to select a second HD or SSD drive, but the youtube video claims there could be several (4) HD's installed.

So is the M6800 in my shopping cart something different then the one promoted on youtube, or is it just because the custom configuration is not offered in the online store to have an additional HD or SSD?

There is no option in the configuration step to have 32GB either.

So i am a bit confused and afraid i will have a n M6800 model that has only 1 drive and can't be expanded ...

I am also working in a linux environment and swapping drives would be a very nice feature.

Can someone shine a light on this ?

Regards Johan

October 6th, 2013 06:00

Hi apexbe,

I’d be glad to assist you regarding the same, this is a new model which has released recently and there is an option for 2 hard drives on the computer. Primary and Secondary hard drive and if you’re not willing to use the DVD drive you can remove it and install the 3rd hard drive in that caddy. There’s an option for MSATA card which will be optional for your computer. The Dell online store has some recommended or standard customization options which may suit your needs accordingly. Adding another hard drive can also be done later after the computer’s purchased and you can also use multiple operating systems on the computer but the performance might be slow.

You might also check the same on Manuals by clicking on the link below.
http://dell.to/1dFtXxL

Search through Model name and download the Manuals

Let us know if this helps.

October 7th, 2013 07:00

Hi apexbe,

Thank you for your response, as this is the new computer and all the information related to all new computers will be available from the Sales team so do check with them. As the Video explains a lot about the computer’s configuration and its best features, if you have any issues related or any questions please send us a message or reply us back on this post and we’ll have glad to assist you further.

October 29th, 2013 09:00

Hi apexbe,

Congratulations on your new computer and we regret the inconvenience caused, thank you for attaching the video which is really helpful.

1. Please update the BIOS to the latest version, let the AC adapter be connected to the computer and click on the below link to update the BIOS.
http://dell.to/1dFtXxL

2. Type in the Service tag, under Drivers and downloads select the Operating system and install the BIOS for your computer.
3. Once the BIOS is installed, please restart the computer and tap F2 to get in BIOS and stay in BIOS page for a longer time to check the eject sound from your computer.

Please complete these steps and let us know your findings.

6 Posts

October 30th, 2013 09:00

Sir ;

Thanks for the information.

The BIOS update fixed the noise from empty drive problem. Thanks !

I also checked the other drivers (recommended updates) but the installation if the new video drivers seems to fail.

(error says my device does not meet the minimum requirements).

According to device manager in W7x64 it is a K3100 . Shoud  i go to the nvidea website and install theirs whql drivers for the K3000 series or should i only use the the Dell drivers ?

6 Posts

October 6th, 2013 17:00

Hi

Thanks , that was very helpfull, i think since this is a very new laptop, more options will be added in the configuration menu.

If i want some special options (ex 1.86Ghz DDR) then i assume it will be best to call Dell via phone.

I think this Laptop will give me a lot of working pleasure, i love to see its W7 , i had nightmares on Win8 , i think i am not the only one....

(nice for home users but an annoyance for developers )

I also like the fact that there is a docking station with legacy ser /lpt port. I do a lot of embedded design and a few of my (old) programmers and debugging tools still work using LPT ports.

6 Posts

October 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi

Got my M6800 , but i think there is a problem with its DVD drive.

It makes a kind of eject sound exactly every minute when there is nothing in the drive.

To avoid the noise i just put any CD /DVD in it. Besides that the drive functions ok with a disc in it.

Should not happen i think, i did not call dell yet.  Maybe it's too new and it needs some bios or other update ??

(anyway i(s my first Dell buy, so i don't know i what action to take.)

November 1st, 2013 06:00

Hi apexbe,

Thank you for your response, I am happy that the BIOS update fixed the issue with the Optical Drive.
At the moment I’d suggest not updating any other drivers as it is a new computer, please use the computer for some more time and say 1-2 months and then you can try updating the drivers back. Any driver’s installation or updating any other drivers please try updating from the Dell’s support website which was provided earlier.

4 Posts

November 13th, 2013 05:00

Hello,

I'm experimenting the same problem with my optical drive. My PC is a M6800 and It's 2 weeks new.

I tried the BIOS solution and checked that I'm actually in A03 version. I am, so... any explication why it still does that noise?

Thanks in advance

4 Posts

November 13th, 2013 06:00

I already tried to apply the "patch" for the BIOS that is online in the driver section.

But it didn't solve my problem.

I don't know if it makes this noise when I stay in the BIOS. I will try that after work ;-)

Edit : By the way, Maybe those two problems are related : I've got another issue from time to time : the PC freezes for a couple of seconds. It is usually not annoying but sometimes it comes at the wrong time and so makes me lose time... Any idea for this issue too ?

6 Posts

November 13th, 2013 06:00

I checked my bios and it is A03 now, strange that it did not solve the isseu for you .

Maybe re-install that bios (if possible)

Maybe there is something else going wrong.

Does ir make the noise when you stay in the bios (not booting into the OS) ?

regards Johan

November 13th, 2013 10:00

Hi JeremSig,

We regret the inconvenience caused, the BIOS version installed is the latest version so far and as mentioned by apexbe please try getting in BIOS and stay on that page to check the clicking noise. In order to check the system freezing issue please try running the diagnostics on the computer to check the hardware functionality by tapping the F12 during startup and selecting the option Diagnostics, and run the complete diagnostics on the computer. Please make a note of any error message as such.

Please complete these steps and let us know your findings.

4 Posts

November 13th, 2013 14:00

Hi.

So I've done all the tests you requested. While being in the BIOS menu, I think I didn't have the clicking noise. I stayed in it for 1 to 2 hours. I also launched the full diagnostic and it found nothing wrong :-s
I've in mind that it could be a software installed on my computer that would cause those clicking and freezing issues. I mostly work with Sql Server Management studio 2012, WebDev 18 and most of the time Windows media player. It is not windows media player related because today I worked without it and I got the clicking sound every half hour.

Do you think it could be one of those programs? I've booted my computer for an hour now without opening anything and I didn't ear the clicking sound... To continue? ^^'

November 15th, 2013 07:00

Hi JeremSig,

Thank you for your response, it’s my gut feelings that even though the diagnostics are passed it might be the issue with the hard drive as multiple software’s are installed and used on the computer. We can replace the hard drive on the computer, please backup the data on the computer and provide us the Service tag of your computer on a private message. To send a private message, click on my user name and select send a Private Message and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

System Service Tag No:
Registered System Owner's Name:
Shipping address:
Telephone number/s:
Alternate phone number:
Email address:
Best time to reach:

Please provide these details and we’ll make arrangements to replace the hard drive on the computer.

2 Posts

November 16th, 2013 12:00

Yes, I've experienced the same issue.  What's going on?  A month ago I was able to configure a 6700 and a M6800 laptop with 2 ss drives and Nvidea card...Now, Dell's web page still says "Configure and Buy", but Dell removed All the available choices.  Very unusual for Dell. Not even a note saying "stay tuned/we'll be right back"...

2 Posts

November 16th, 2013 12:00

Yes, I've experienced the same issue.  What's going on?  A month ago I was able to configure a 6700 and a M6800 laptop with 2 ss drives and Nvidea card...Now, Dell's web page still says "Configure and Buy", but Dell removed All the available choices.  Very unusual for Dell. Not even a note saying "stay tuned/we'll be right back...

No Events found!