Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2010 13:00

Mini 10 reload problems

I have a Mini 10 that belongs to my Mother in Law. She got a virus and one of her relatives attempted to repair it and messed it all up.

I agreed to look at it. When I got it upon boot it gave me the message that Windows had to be revalidated before I could log on. If I click yes, it would go to a background screen and freeze. Reboot and the samething.

She had lost everything anyway so I attempted a factory reload of Wibndows XP. (her original disk) Everything went fine untill it gets to the EULA screen.

There you have 3 choices, F8 accept, ESC not accept, page down. The only key that will do anything is ESC which reboots and runs thru the cycle again.

I then reformatted the HD. No change. I said bad OS disk, so I borrowed one from another Mini 10 and it does the same thing.

At this point I do not know what else to try. I have an IT background but I retired several years ago. So I do know enough to be dangerous.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Julian

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 25th, 2010 05:00

Julian,

"Bad OS disc" I take it that's not the exact error. Is the system set to boot from an external CD drive?

December 25th, 2010 05:00

Osprey, Thanks for the reply. It boots fine from the CD. Just when it gets to the EULA screen is when the problem starts. It freezes at that point and will not accept any key inputs. I thought it might be a bad OS disk is the reason I tried another disk. I get no error messages. I t just will not go past the EULA screen.

Thanks,

Julian

December 27th, 2010 15:00

Solved...for some strange reason you have to hold the Fn key down before you press the F8 key..  After I got past the problem screen the keys worked normally..

2 Posts

March 29th, 2012 06:00

I have this issue also....F8 will not accept eula...where is the Fn key?... 

2 Posts

March 29th, 2012 06:00

Found it!...should have got to spec savers..lol...will try this now and hope it works!

No Events found!