Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2013 17:00

Missing software for Latitude D830

Recently I bought a Dell Latitude D830 at an auction. I was very disappointed that there was no operating system on the harddrive.

On the bottom of the computer there are several labels: Service tag:        Express Service Code

Also a sticker with:

Windows Vista Business OEMAct                                            Proof of licence

DELL                                                                                              Certificate of Authenticity

Microsoft

Product key                X13-04660 

I tried to install Windows 7 and that seemed to work. But after installation I started the computer again and then it would not continue the starting process and failed.

Is there anyone who can tell me what to do. I am a noknow about computers. Is there a possibility to obtain cd/dvd's with the operating system Vista Business and the typical Dell drivers for the hardware? Do I have to pay for a complete new set or can I get the system with Microsoft ?

Allready thank you very much if anyone answers to my problem,

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 15th, 2013 18:00

Unless you have a copy of Windows 7 that has never been installed on another PC, you are not going to be able to activate it on the laptop.

Read the information at http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ on how to obtain Vista

1.5K Posts

October 15th, 2013 22:00

Hi DELLLATI,

Please elaborate the issue. What exactly happens when you try to power on the system? Are you getting any error messages when you start the system?

Dell has not tested the system with Windows 7 and the drivers for the same are not available. Please share the source from which you are trying to install Windows 7.

I would suggest you to run the hardware diagnostics on the system to check for the hardware functionality. You may follow the steps below:

• Reboot and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error.

You may try resetting the system BIOS to defaults. Please follow the steps below:

• Power on and tap 3-4 times at Dell logo to access system setup
  • Go to ‘Load Defaults’ listed under ‘Maintenance on left side and press
  • Press to ‘Save and Exit’ from BIOS.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

2 Posts

October 16th, 2013 15:00

Hello DELL-AMOGH,

Thank you for helping me, allthough I hope my english is good enough to be understood because I have to translate sometimes from messages that appear in dutch on my computer. I have run the hardware diagnostics and the message was: No problems have been found with the system so far. Do you want to run the remaining memory tests? This will take about 30 minutes or more. Do you want to continue? I answered yes and after a very long time the following message: Pre-boot system assesment complete. No Diagnostic Utility Partition identified. Please select OK to reboot your system.

I also tried to reset the system BIOS to default. I do not think anything changed after that.

I started the computer again and at the moment when you see the four moving stars that will become the windows logo they stop moving and the following message appears:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information: ***STOP: 0X0000007B (0X80D86B58, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Your asked about the source I am using to start from:

I used the internal cd/dvd drive in the laptop and booted from a CD with the Windows 7 version. This is not a original windows CD. I obtained this one when I had a problem with an Acer Veriton with Windows Vista. The repairshop I went to, made the system running and gave me the CD with Windows 7 version and told me that that version was much better than the Windows Vista that was running on the Acer. So I could eventually install Windows 7 later.

But maybe it is better to choose Vista because that is what was running on the D830 before I bought it.

Hope this gives you some clues what might be wrong.

Looking forward to your response,

Kind regards,

Fred

1.5K Posts

October 17th, 2013 05:00

Hi Fred,

Thank you for all the information. it seems that the issue is coming as the operating system is not getting installed properly.

I would suggest you to do a clean install of the operating system. You may refer to the link: http://dell.to/15zLeUB.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for any further assistance.

No Events found!