Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2011 20:00

My Dell Downloads Popup not going away

The My Dell Downloads popup keeps popping up on my laptop every couple of minutes and won't go away.  I've done searches and seen this is a fairly common complaint, but none of the resolutions I've seen work for me.

I've tried visiting the site and even downloaded some software and still get the popup.  I try to choose remind me later and it pops up a minute later.  I try to choose don't remind me and it pops up a minute later.

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this?

Also in general it is very bad programming to make a modal popup like this.  It is one thing for it to be annoying and coded poorly.  Its another thing to make it so it sits on top of all my other windows.  I would think that Dell wouldn't want to inconvenience their customers in this way.

My laptop is an Alienware M11x R2.

• 

17K Posts

May 11th, 2011 12:00

Darthcy,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Try going to start - run and type in MSCONFIG, click OK. Click the Startup Tab. Look for this instance in the statup list and remove the checkmark. Press apply.

This should keep it from popping up. You will need to restart the computer.

16 Posts

May 11th, 2011 21:00

Jesse,

Thanks for the reply.  Do you know what process I should look for?  I tried this already, but could not find anything that

resembled "My Dell Downloads" in startup.  It may be tied in with AlienRespawn, but I don't want to disable that.   

• 

17K Posts

May 12th, 2011 07:00

Darthcy,

Go into the add/remove programs and uninstall it from that area.

16 Posts

May 12th, 2011 20:00

Jesse,

Thanks again for the reply.  My question again is what process should I look for?  I have already tried this and there is nothing that resembles My Dell Downloads in there.  I am an advanced user and have tried all the obvious stuff before I came here.  

16 Posts

May 13th, 2011 21:00

Ok, called tech support to figure this out.  Fixed it by uninstalling AlienRespawn (it can be reinstalled later).  The popup has gone away and has not come back.  It may also be under Dell Data Safe on older computers.

3 Posts

July 16th, 2011 21:00

The pop up is tied to the "Local Data Backup" software, it has a glitch, go to programs and unistall the Local Back Up and your My Dell Downloads annoying pop up will go away.

Have a great one

3 Posts

July 30th, 2011 15:00

Here's another solution that worked, http://dell.to/nr0kuE

2 Posts

February 7th, 2014 20:00

I have tried & tried to get rid of this popup as well it won't go, that;s it for me with Dell & I used to buy everything by them. Unless I get rid of this soon I will not ever buy another thing from them. I have had 5 PC savvy people try to disable it for me & they can't. You are my last hope, u might want to tell dell about this as I see online that many people have this problem, thanx. L.
No Events found!