Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2011 01:00

N7010 -- Updating Graphics Drivers?

(Repost from General Laptops: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19362466/19812309.aspx#19812309  ; not sure of relevance/relation between video and graphics)

Hi there.

I recently recieved a new Dell laptop (an N7010) for the holidays and I had a minor question that has confounded me.

A friend was offering to show me a game he had recieved for the holidays, but before installing he informed me I would likely need to update my graphics drivers to the newest available versions for the game to run properly. I believe I've done this in the past on my old desktop, but I cant seem to figure out how I would go about it on this machine.

I tried the Intel site, but it said it was unable to analyze properly for some reason and couldnt even tell me what graphics card this machine uses (I'm thinking its some sort of integrated deal, as I cant find mention of any other cards). 

We decided not to bother installing the game, as we couldnt figure out how to update the drivers and a Dell support agent (via the chat interface on this site) informed me that it was a 3rd party game that violated the warranty; but it still bothers me that I couldnt figure out how to update the forementioned graphics drivers (though frankly, being not particularly tech savy, I'm not 100% sure how to go about updating said drivers in the first place).

The Dell agent I talked to via the chat suggested I check here, so I'm making a post in hopes someone here with abit more knowledge can offer some insight.

Many thanks.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

January 20th, 2011 21:00

Installing non-Dell software DOES NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. I have heard this several times from users, and it is NOT TRUE!!!

To find what video you have, right click on the desktop and look for a selection in the menu for the video card. It will be Intel (integrated) or ATI (discrete).

You do not necessarily need to download the latest drivers to play a game. Video updates do contain code to correct performance of some games, but you will not need to do this generally.

4 Posts

January 20th, 2011 22:00

Thanks for the response!

As mentioned previously, the warranty voiding was told to me by a Dell rep via their Support Chat - it doesnt really make sense to me, but if I'm well aware how electronics companies are when it comes to warranties (that is, they make it easy as possible to void the warranty) and didnt feel like possibly voiding my warranty at the time.

Perhaps Im just not used to the OS (Windows 7), but I was unable to find how to access hardware info via right-clicking on the desktop; however, using Start->Run->dxdiag and another method, I was able to get the information I think you're referring to. The display device is Intel(R) HD Graphics, thus I am assuming integrated.

I've installed several games since getting this laptop, and most work quite well; but almost all the newer games (released in the last year or 2) appear to require a graphic driver update to function properly - or at least, thats what others who have gotten it to work say they have done. Various sites I've visited say I should be able to run them (two examples -- Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which was the '3rd party software that voids the warranty" according to Dell chat support agent, and Sid Meyer's Civ 5), but have thus far seem to require some sort of graphics update/tinkering to work properly that is beyond the scope of my personal computer knowledge.

As mentioned previously, I am not a computer person. Ive recieved some instructions here ( http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19362466/19812309.aspx#19812309 ) but the poster kind of contradicts themselves AND ignores something I included in the OP, so I'm not sure how much - if any - help it will be.

Any further input would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for the response.,

No Events found!