Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

July 15th, 2008 11:00

NVidia and Warranty Service

Hello,

So, I ordered XPS and still waiting for the unit (estimated shipping date 25th).

While waiting, I hear lots of things about dell, its computers and especially about its service.

I bought the unit with 4 year in-home service warranty.

Now, it sounds like my GPU will likely to blow-up sometime during the usage. With the experience with my previous laptop (acer), it will likely to blow up once a year.

Now, if that's the case, and if NVidia does set aside money for change and fix in their parts, does that mean that once I blow the motherboard, they will be able to replace the motherboard with a new GPU that is free of defective parts? Or are they likely to keep replacing the unit with time ticking GPU on its newer motherboard? (in a historical sense on what they have done in the past.)

Second question is about the service. Sounds like they have a terrible award winning service. As I mentioned, I have 4 year in-home service, which it sounds like they will dispatch the technician after the phone call? How do they fix the computer? I will probably only end up calling if its not a software or any other minor issues that I can fix by myself.. So it will most likely be a hardware issue. (like burnt mb) Do they come to my house with new parts like mb or what?

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 15th, 2008 12:00

The relationship between nVidia and Dell is completely separate to the one between you and Dell - if there'sa  failure, it's Dell's reponsibility to repair/replace, not nVidia's.

If you're at all worried about reliability, at this point, you're probably better off with a Dell Studio notebook (which use ATI video) than with the XPS line that uses nVidia.  No one knows much outside of the very sketchy details that nVidia has released - other than that it's clear these chips are failing in abnormally high numbers.

81 Posts

July 15th, 2008 14:00

Man, everyone is flipping out about this Nvidia FUD.  Your GPU isn't going to blow up.  Assuming it fails, which is unlikely even WITH the recent announcements, they'll just swap out the motherboard, as I believe the GPUs in the 1330 and 1530 are soldered to the mobo.

Second, if you're basing your opinion of the service on what you're reading on these forums, you have to realize that the people that come here are the vocal minority.  The majority of Dell users probably don't even know what these forums are.

61 Posts

July 15th, 2008 15:00

I agree, don't worry. When my Nvidia card failed the first time Dell  replaced it. When the second one failed Dell replaced the motherboard as well. So far its working fine.

You warranty is with Dell. Let them fix it when it goes wrong. They give a next day service at your home, bringing the parts with them.

No Events found!