Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

May 8th, 2016 17:00

New Dell XPS 13 9350 Windows 10 clean install question....

Does Dell offer a factory restore option with just the Dell drivers installed and no extras? HP offers this with their factory restore option. Hoping Dell offers it as well? If not. Doing a clean install of just Windows 10 seems a bit tricky? Dell lists a ton of drivers to install.

Finally. I bought a 16GB usb flash drive and made a backup of the factory recovery partition. I suppose it is now safe to remove and give me some extra space? The laptop was ordered with a 256GB ssd. Currently have 199GB of space left.  

2K Posts

May 8th, 2016 18:00

Hi KORNGTL15,

You could download the factory partition online - enter the service tag - http://dell.to/1JsMeJg - and download the media. This will contain the OS and the required drivers for your machine.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

67 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 07:00

Thanks! I was not even aware you could do that. My question though. Does it offer just the OS and drivers? Or does it have all the extra stuff with it as well? Like I said. I was wondering if Dell provides a option like HP where you can reinstall OS clean with just drivers automatically? 

2K Posts

May 23rd, 2016 11:00

Hi KORNGTL15,

The factory partition will only contain the OS image and the drivers and Dell related applications preinstalled. The factory partition available for your machine will contain the same OS as it was shipped out with the machine. Basically, it will resemble the system when you first purchased it and started up the machine.

15 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 13:00

Rishi, I have a follow-up question. Say my Dell Iaptop came with an HDD. Can I use this online Windows 10 tool to download the correct image for an SSD, as well? Like, is the image different for HDDs and SSDs? My service tag will definitely bring up the HDD as that is what I bought it with.

2K Posts

May 24th, 2016 02:00

Hi IKJADOON,

The image is related to the service tag. It is not dependent on the type of storage be it HDD or SSD.

Example: Say you purchased the machine with a HDD and later choose to upgrade to an SSD. You could use the same image to mount on the SSD.

No Events found!